REAL problems with drivers above 378.92 for 1070 GFX EVGA SC
  1 / 4    
Dear people, I have received my graphics card today. Only when i wanted to install the newest driver i got a black screen so i got panicked. But then i deinstalled that driver with DDU and installed the first driver from 2017 (January). That one worked so i was sure it is not my graphics card but just maybe something with windows and the driver. Then i installed like 20 driver versions and all of them above 378.92 were giving me purple colors in the whole screen. Not purple purple but it was like the color adjustment was wrong. So that's when i found out that i could go till 378.92. But how about my updates? Now my GPU will have difficulty maybe with other things if i am gaming? I also tried 30 minutes ago to update my motherboard bios but that didn't work either. So that's where i want to ask you guy's to PLEASE help me with this problem. I have to add that i am using a Corsair VS450 which is a bad power supply (what i found out just this week) and it has 450watt while the gpu is asking 500watt. But i dont think thats an issue because of this driver which i am on is working perfectly fine with GTA V as example and i did benchmarks to make sure all the power was going out of the GPU, i was scared maybe that it would run slower because of the 450watt PSU but it's working perfect. Does someone know why these other drivers act this way on my PC. I have an i5-6500 CPU 8gb RAM corsair 2 SSD's 250gb MSI h110m eco motherboard Corsair VS450watt EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 8GB I hope this is enough information. And i hope someone will have a fix. Thanks for your time on reading this. Greetings, Gester from Holland
Dear people,

I have received my graphics card today. Only when i wanted to install the newest driver i got a black screen so i got panicked. But then i deinstalled that driver with DDU and installed the first driver from 2017 (January). That one worked so i was sure it is not my graphics card but just maybe something with windows and the driver. Then i installed like 20 driver versions and all of them above 378.92 were giving me purple colors in the whole screen. Not purple purple but it was like the color adjustment was wrong. So that's when i found out that i could go till 378.92. But how about my updates? Now my GPU will have difficulty maybe with other things if i am gaming? I also tried 30 minutes ago to update my motherboard bios but that didn't work either. So that's where i want to ask you guy's to PLEASE help me with this problem. I have to add that i am using a Corsair VS450 which is a bad power supply (what i found out just this week) and it has 450watt while the gpu is asking 500watt. But i dont think thats an issue because of this driver which i am on is working perfectly fine with GTA V as example and i did benchmarks to make sure all the power was going out of the GPU, i was scared maybe that it would run slower because of the 450watt PSU but it's working perfect.

Does someone know why these other drivers act this way on my PC.

I have an i5-6500 CPU
8gb RAM corsair
2 SSD's 250gb
MSI h110m eco motherboard
Corsair VS450watt
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 8GB

I hope this is enough information. And i hope someone will have a fix.

Thanks for your time on reading this.

Greetings,

Gester from Holland

Posted 11/10/2017 05:52 PM   
According to this website, http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm, Using a GTX-1070 you require a minimum PSU of 500 watts for the Total System Wattage. As you mentioned, your PSU is underpowered for your computer specs. I would first upgrade your PSU before going any further on troubleshooting. This would eliminate PSU issues on your GPU card. Your computer may run correctly under low loads but under Heavy loads, your wattage increases a lot and your will start having all types of PSU issues. Playing High-end games puts a very heavy load on your GPU and computer system in general. This an answer from Superuser Forum concerning a weak PSU: [u][i][b]You risk overdrawing the PSU and damaging it. It can also cause other components to not get enough power or deal with erratic power from an overloaded PSU, so unrelated things may also start to act up. Better quality PSU's are probably going to be more robust than lower quality cheap OEM provided ones. A video card or other component may be say it needs a 550w power supply, and it probably does only when fully loaded. So you may not experience problems on power on, but only after playing a game or something else that stresses the GPU. Specific symptoms include: lockups BSODs graphical corruption display goes black You can try "burning-in" your card by running a benchmark utility such as FurMark3d or similar for an extended time, giving problems a chance to surface. But don't do it if you know your PSU is underrated. Get a new PSU. [/b][/i][/u] Also if your are using EVGA Precision XOC GPU monitoring/Overclocking software, that can cause issues with your Nvidia drivers. similar to MSI Afterburner. It is suggested that you uninstall those type of softwares. Also your Windows 10 needs to be completely updated via Windows Update.
According to this website, http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm, Using a GTX-1070 you require a minimum PSU of 500 watts for the Total System Wattage. As you mentioned, your PSU is underpowered for your computer specs.

I would first upgrade your PSU before going any further on troubleshooting. This would eliminate PSU issues on your GPU card. Your computer may run correctly under low loads but under Heavy loads, your wattage increases a lot and your will start having all types of PSU issues. Playing High-end games puts a very heavy load on your GPU and computer system in general. This an answer from Superuser Forum concerning a weak PSU:

You risk overdrawing the PSU and damaging it. It can also cause other components to not get enough power or deal with erratic power from an overloaded PSU, so unrelated things may also start to act up. Better quality PSU's are probably going to be more robust than lower quality cheap OEM provided ones.

A video card or other component may be say it needs a 550w power supply, and it probably does only when fully loaded. So you may not experience problems on power on, but only after playing a game or something else that stresses the GPU.

Specific symptoms include:

lockups
BSODs
graphical corruption
display goes black
You can try "burning-in" your card by running a benchmark utility such as FurMark3d or similar for an extended time, giving problems a chance to surface. But don't do it if you know your PSU is underrated. Get a new PSU.

Also if your are using EVGA Precision XOC GPU monitoring/Overclocking software, that can cause issues with your Nvidia drivers. similar to MSI Afterburner. It is suggested that you uninstall those type of softwares.

Also your Windows 10 needs to be completely updated via Windows Update.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gen 2.0
Asus GTX-1070 Dual Fan Video Card
Asus (2) - IDE DVD Burners
Asus Blu-ray Burner
Liteon Blu-ray Burner
AMD FX-8350 (8 core) 4 ghz CPU
Corsair DDR3 Dual Channel 1600 RAM (16 gbytes)
Corsair Gold 850 Watt PSU
Coolermaster HAF-X Tower
Gigabyte Dual Band Wifi/Bluetooth 4.2 Card
Hauppauge 2 tuner Television card
SATA-IDE Adapter card
7 USB Hub
Fax/modem card - PCI
(5) Hard drives of one to two terabytes (Western Digital, Seagate, & Samsung)
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Acer 24" High definition Monitor connected via Onkyo Receiver via HDMI
Samsung Smart Television connected via HDMI from Onkyo Receiver
Onkyo 5.1 AV Receiver connected via HDMI from Computer
USB Internal Multi-card reader

Posted 11/10/2017 06:44 PM   
Corsair VS and Corsair 80+ models should be avoided
Corsair VS and Corsair 80+ models should be avoided

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 11/11/2017 01:03 AM   
. Corsair VS cannot provide Sustained power. It is designed for GENERAL Computing, it cannot handle Gaming. That should be replaced now. [IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/Greybear1n2/Corsair_PSU_Line_zpsidbpsfgn.png[/IMG] I have been using the CX series for some time. But if you watch the Seasonic M12II, these can be gotten for $35 after a rebate. .

Corsair VS cannot provide Sustained power. It is designed for GENERAL Computing, it cannot handle Gaming.

That should be replaced now.

I have been using the CX series for some time. But if you watch the Seasonic M12II, these can be gotten for $35 after a rebate.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 11/11/2017 02:27 AM   
I understand your reactions and i thank you for your time but my psu is going good with this gpu. I did tests and i am playing on 4k resolution. Everything works smooth. But i read before that the psu is not a good one so inwill buy a new psu anyway. I am first gonna watch if the uodate from 1706 to 1708 works with the last update of nvidia. I think its still weird that it works very good with an older driver.
I understand your reactions and i thank you for your time but my psu is going good with this gpu. I did tests and i am playing on 4k resolution. Everything works smooth. But i read before that the psu is not a good one so inwill buy a new psu anyway. I am first gonna watch if the uodate from 1706 to 1708 works with the last update of nvidia. I think its still weird that it works very good with an older driver.

Posted 11/11/2017 03:30 AM   
. Your best bet is to stay with the Older drivers. The last set I have been recommending is: Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5): [.]Install DDU[/.] Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows. [.]you will end up in Safe mode[/.] Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE Run DDU: [.]Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean and Restart[/.] Run the [url=http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab]Microsoft Show hide tool[/url] [.]Hide all NVIDIA software and driver[/.] [.]Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, [color="orange"]keep rerunning[/color][/.] Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/382.33/382.33-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe]382.33[/url] driver [.]Run DOWNLOAD package[/.] [.]Uncheck EVERYTHING excpet the GPU Driver and PHYSX[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL box[/.] [.]Select: CUSTOM[/.] [.]Finish install[/.] [.][color="orange"]Reboot[/color][/.] .

Your best bet is to stay with the Older drivers.

The last set I have been recommending is:

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5):
  • Install DDU

• Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows.
  • you will end up in Safe mode
  • Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE

Run DDU:
  • Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers
  • Select: Clean and Restart

• Run the Microsoft Show hide tool
  • Hide all NVIDIA software and driver
  • Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, keep rerunning

• Download this 382.33 driver
  • Run DOWNLOAD package

• Uncheck EVERYTHING excpet the GPU Driver and PHYSX
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL box
  • Select: CUSTOM
  • Finish install
  • Reboot

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 11/11/2017 03:45 AM   
    I mean windows1709, well the latest driver still didnt work. So what is this crap? Is it safe to install driver from juni. Thats like 5 months behind. So you guys think if i buy another psu the new driver woll work? This is not a hardware problem because another driver works fine
    I mean windows1709, well the latest driver still didnt work. So what is this crap? Is it safe to install driver from juni. Thats like 5 months behind. So you guys think if i buy another psu the new driver woll work? This is not a hardware problem because another driver works fine

Posted 11/11/2017 05:13 AM   
    Do you know why Greybear recommends the 382.33 driver? All recent drivers are plagued by a torrent of different issues, so unless you like doing QA (being a tester), you'd best stay as far away from these drivers as possible. There are methods how to cheat certain game developers which require a minimal driver version and it's better by miles to use those than risk damage to your GPU and/or display(s). And let's be realistic, recent drivers bricked far more than 'one' or 'ten' nvidia gfx cards. It's just not worth the risk. It is clearly a bad idea to install them even if you have a 'FE' card (that the generics are supposedly created for). Myself (1070 Mobile), I have accepted I will just keep using 378.92 (378 = WDDM 2.1) until my machine reaches EOL.
    Do you know why Greybear recommends the 382.33 driver? All recent drivers are plagued by a torrent of different issues, so unless you like doing QA (being a tester), you'd best stay as far away from these drivers as possible. There are methods how to cheat certain game developers which require a minimal driver version and it's better by miles to use those than risk damage to your GPU and/or display(s).

And let's be realistic, recent drivers bricked far more than 'one' or 'ten' nvidia gfx cards. It's just not worth the risk. It is clearly a bad idea to install them even if you have a 'FE' card (that the generics are supposedly created for).

Myself (1070 Mobile), I have accepted I will just keep using 378.92 (378 = WDDM 2.1) until my machine reaches EOL.

Posted 11/11/2017 08:09 AM   
    I have been using a Corsair 850AX Gold plus for the past 6-7 years without any problems. As you can see, my computer has many computer components attached to my motherboard. The PSU still provides very good voltages under heavy load and when Stressed tested using OCCT.
    I have been using a Corsair 850AX Gold plus for the past 6-7 years without any problems. As you can see, my computer has many computer components attached to my motherboard. The PSU still provides very good voltages under heavy load and when Stressed tested using OCCT.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gen 2.0
    Asus GTX-1070 Dual Fan Video Card
    Asus (2) - IDE DVD Burners
    Asus Blu-ray Burner
    Liteon Blu-ray Burner
    AMD FX-8350 (8 core) 4 ghz CPU
    Corsair DDR3 Dual Channel 1600 RAM (16 gbytes)
    Corsair Gold 850 Watt PSU
    Coolermaster HAF-X Tower
    Gigabyte Dual Band Wifi/Bluetooth 4.2 Card
    Hauppauge 2 tuner Television card
    SATA-IDE Adapter card
    7 USB Hub
    Fax/modem card - PCI
    (5) Hard drives of one to two terabytes (Western Digital, Seagate, & Samsung)
    HP Officejet Pro 8620
    Acer 24" High definition Monitor connected via Onkyo Receiver via HDMI
    Samsung Smart Television connected via HDMI from Onkyo Receiver
    Onkyo 5.1 AV Receiver connected via HDMI from Computer
    USB Internal Multi-card reader

Posted 11/11/2017 12:51 PM   
    . [quote="Gester12"]I mean windows1709, well the latest driver still didnt work. So what is this crap? Is it safe to install driver from juni. Thats like 5 months behind. So you guys think if i buy another psu the new driver woll work? This is not a hardware problem because another driver works fine[/quote] You can throw money at a problem, I cannot stop you from wasting it, but since I have, $0 money in my bank account I would look at trying FREE CRAP first. I gave you instructions to follow. I cannot make you follow them. THEY ARE FREE. Everyone and their dog wants to look at how old something is instead of just TRYING IT FIRST. .

Gester12 said:I mean windows1709, well the latest driver still didnt work. So what is this crap? Is it safe to install driver from juni. Thats like 5 months behind. So you guys think if i buy another psu the new driver woll work? This is not a hardware problem because another driver works fine
    You can throw money at a problem, I cannot stop you from wasting it, but since I have, $0 money in my bank account I would look at trying FREE CRAP first.

I gave you instructions to follow. I cannot make you follow them. THEY ARE FREE.

Everyone and their dog wants to look at how old something is instead of just TRYING IT FIRST.

Posted 11/11/2017 02:54 PM   
    Oke, i will try the 382.33 driver if i am at home, if that doesnt work i will stick to 378.92. I ordered an Corsair RMx Series RM550x. So you guy’s are sure that my gpu is fine because it doesnt want to accept drivers above 378.92, nothing is wrong? I played already some good games with it. Do i need to update the nvidia drivers after my new PSU or is that not gonna help?
    Oke, i will try the 382.33 driver if i am at home, if that doesnt work i will stick to 378.92. I ordered an Corsair RMx Series RM550x.

So you guy’s are sure that my gpu is fine because it doesnt want to accept drivers above 378.92, nothing is wrong? I played already some good games with it.

Do i need to update the nvidia drivers after my new PSU or is that not gonna help?

Posted 11/11/2017 03:59 PM   
    Not driver issue, but PSU issue. Why still go for Corsair PSU? How much did you buy? Just install the latest driver will do. C'mon for USD 79.90 you can grab [url=https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-750FX-ATX12V-Modular-Compact/dp/B073GWKDVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510416237&sr=1-1&keywords=seasonic+focus&dpID=414P-u6qm3L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch]Seasonic Focus Plus 750W Gold.[/url] [url=http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=524]Review[/url] from JonnyGuru. [url=http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-ssr-750fx-focus-plus-750-gold-psu,5206.html]Review[/url] from TomsHardware. [url=https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/10/24/seasonic_focus_plus_gold_platinum_750w_review]Review[/url] from HardOcp.
    Not driver issue, but PSU issue. Why still go for Corsair PSU? How much did you buy? Just install the latest driver will do.

C'mon for USD 79.90 you can grab Seasonic Focus Plus 750W Gold.

Review from JonnyGuru.

Review from TomsHardware.

Review from HardOcp.
    I bought that PSU for 90 euro’s its fine, that’s an gold edition too. I dont wanna stress about the psu anymore and the reviews are good about the corsair rm550x for gaming. But oke i will install the newest driver after i have my new PSU. Thanks for all the replies guy’s , i really appreciate it.
    I bought that PSU for 90 euro’s its fine, that’s an gold edition too. I dont wanna stress about the psu anymore and the reviews are good about the corsair rm550x for gaming. But oke i will install the newest driver after i have my new PSU. Thanks for all the replies guy’s , i really appreciate it.

Posted 11/11/2017 04:15 PM   
    Should i wait till then with playing games or can i just play with the vs450 watt for a couple of day’a? I will only play today and tomorrow. The other day’s i am busy with school
    Should i wait till then with playing games or can i just play with the vs450 watt for a couple of day’a? I will only play today and tomorrow. The other day’s i am busy with school

Posted 11/11/2017 04:16 PM   
    . [quote="Gester12"]Should i wait till then with playing games or can i just play with the vs450 watt for a couple of day’a? I will only play today and tomorrow. The other day’s i am busy with school[/quote] I would do this after I changed the driver: Run [url=http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw64_524.exe]HWInfo64[/url] [.]Sensors Only[/.] [.] bottom right - LOGGING (start that)[/.] [.]Leave it running in the Background[/.] Download [url=http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/3dmark,1.html]3DMark[/url] [.]Install[/.] [.]Run it[/.] [.]Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark[/.] [.]Compare Results Online is a Webpage[/.] [.]Please Post that Link here[/.] [.]Close 3DMark / Firestrike[/.] [.]Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info[/.] [.]Post screenshots of HWinfo64[/.] Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic [center]Do not attempt to [size="S"][ALT]+[Tab][/size] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it[/center] [color="orange"]Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please.[/color] ================== [quote]So you guy’s are sure that my gpu is fine because it doesnt want to accept drivers above 378.92, nothing is wrong? I played already some good games with it. [/quote] Most likely is the PSU. But until I have the tests above, I cannot get closer to ruling that the card itself is not bad. If the card does not accept the 382.33, it could be just the PSU. At which point I would still run the TEST above with the Driver you have. .

Gester12 said:Should i wait till then with playing games or can i just play with the vs450 watt for a couple of day’a? I will only play today and tomorrow. The other day’s i am busy with school
    I would do this after I changed the driver:

Run HWInfo64
  • Sensors Only
  • bottom right - LOGGING (start that)
  • Leave it running in the Background

• Download 3DMark
  • Install
  • Run it
  • Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark
  • Compare Results Online is a Webpage
  • Please Post that Link here

• Close 3DMark / Firestrike
  • Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info
  • Post screenshots of HWinfo64
  • Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic

Do not attempt to [ALT]+[Tab] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it

Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please.

==================

So you guy’s are sure that my gpu is fine because it doesnt want to accept drivers above 378.92, nothing is wrong? I played already some good games with it.
    Most likely is the PSU. But until I have the tests above, I cannot get closer to ruling that the card itself is not bad.

If the card does not accept the 382.33, it could be just the PSU. At which point I would still run the TEST above with the Driver you have.

Posted 11/11/2017 04:32 PM   
      1 / 4    
    Scroll To Top