Is Amazon Nvidia Shield TV Streaming Media Player Remote Only same 2017 version?
  1 / 2    
In Amazon, they have 2 listings: Nvidia Shield TV Streaming Media Player (Remote Only) $179 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RXV2VR/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=tgKKi&pf_rd_r=ZB3N6W9C2KWMGTWS2GQX&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B075RXV2VR&pd_rd_w=iCSRW&pf_rd_i=null&pd_rd_r=3a304764-52c5-4a85-99d1-c5fb4d47c03f&ie=UTF8&qid=1509897417&sr=1 https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Media-Player-Version/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509897088&sr=8-1&keywords=nivida+sheild+tv Are these 2 Nvidia Shield TV players exact idential 2017 version? Should I pay $20 more to get the game controller? (I do not play any game at all). Does the game controller useful in any other function in addition to playing game? Thank you
In Amazon, they have 2 listings:

Nvidia Shield TV Streaming Media Player (Remote Only) $179

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RXV2VR/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=tgKKi&pf_rd_r=ZB3N6W9C2KWMGTWS2GQX&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B075RXV2VR&pd_rd_w=iCSRW&pf_rd_i=null&pd_rd_r=3a304764-52c5-4a85-99d1-c5fb4d47c03f&ie=UTF8&qid=1509897417&sr=1

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Media-Player-Version/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509897088&sr=8-1&keywords=nivida+sheild+tv

Are these 2 Nvidia Shield TV players exact idential 2017 version?
Should I pay $20 more to get the game controller? (I do not play any game at all). Does the game controller useful in any other function in addition to playing game?

Thank you

Posted 11/05/2017 03:59 PM   
Yes, there is only 1 2017 Shield, the only difference is the peripherals that come with it. It's up to you whether the game controller is worth the extra $20, but you will need it if you wish to use Google Assistant and have a always listening device, the remote is not.
Yes, there is only 1 2017 Shield, the only difference is the peripherals that come with it.

It's up to you whether the game controller is worth the extra $20, but you will need it if you wish to use Google Assistant and have a always listening device, the remote is not.

Posted 11/05/2017 04:03 PM   
The tell me where to get info about the Shield TV game controller as always listening device. What can I do with listen device? Also, I have not use and have no current plan to use Google Assistant so far. But, I have use Amazon Alaxia and Comcast cable box remote listening device. They work.
The tell me where to get info about the Shield TV game controller as always listening device.
What can I do with listen device?

Also, I have not use and have no current plan to use Google Assistant so far.

But, I have use Amazon Alaxia and Comcast cable box remote listening device. They work.

Posted 11/06/2017 02:38 AM   
basically it's the same thing. i found the shield remote slows me down, a controller is must faster for me for navigating. just use the shield controller like you using a xbox 360/one console with it's controller.
basically it's the same thing.

i found the shield remote slows me down, a controller is must faster for me for navigating. just use the shield controller like you using a xbox 360/one console with it's controller.

Posted 11/06/2017 03:35 AM   
[quote="jgy2001"]The tell me where to get info about the Shield TV game controller as always listening device. What can I do with listen device? Also, I have not use and have no current plan to use Google Assistant so far. But, I have use Amazon Alaxia and Comcast cable box remote listening device. They work.[/quote] http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4543 You didn't state whether you had a use for Google Assistant or not, only if the game controller had other functions besides gaming. Being able to use Google Assistant "Hands free" (always listening) is basically the only other function. Again, it's up to you whether you think it's worth the extra $20. Your Alexa and Comcast remote will not work for Assistant on the Shield.
jgy2001 said:The tell me where to get info about the Shield TV game controller as always listening device.
What can I do with listen device?

Also, I have not use and have no current plan to use Google Assistant so far.

But, I have use Amazon Alaxia and Comcast cable box remote listening device. They work.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4543

You didn't state whether you had a use for Google Assistant or not, only if the game controller had other functions besides gaming. Being able to use Google Assistant "Hands free" (always listening) is basically the only other function. Again, it's up to you whether you think it's worth the extra $20.

Your Alexa and Comcast remote will not work for Assistant on the Shield.

Posted 11/06/2017 03:43 PM   
I have not use Google Assistant so far. Want to understand how useful is the game controller? For example, how to you set up a web search on Nivida Shield TV without keyboard? How do you save a URL link?
I have not use Google Assistant so far.

Want to understand how useful is the game controller?

For example, how to you set up a web search on Nivida Shield TV without keyboard? How do you save a URL link?

Posted 11/06/2017 03:51 PM   
[quote="jgy2001"]I have not use Google Assistant so far. Want to understand how useful is the game controller? For example, how to you set up a web search on Nivida Shield TV without keyboard? How do you save a URL link?[/quote] neither have i anyway used for google assistant. very useful, if you hate press the remote like samsung smart remote for typing. a virtual keyboard will pop up, but you have to download a 3rd party browser, no google chrome built in like the mobile android (smart phone and tablets) have.
jgy2001 said:I have not use Google Assistant so far.

Want to understand how useful is the game controller?

For example, how to you set up a web search on Nivida Shield TV without keyboard? How do you save a URL link?

neither have i anyway used for google assistant.

very useful, if you hate press the remote like samsung smart remote for typing.

a virtual keyboard will pop up, but you have to download a 3rd party browser, no google chrome built in like the mobile android (smart phone and tablets) have.

Posted 11/07/2017 02:44 PM   
Oh, NO internet web browser build in the Nvidia Shield? How do I set all the URL links for streaming? How do I search for web contents? Am I better off getting one of those cheap Kodi box in Amazon? Nvidia Shield is most expensive. Since I do NO gaming, only do web search and streaming video. Is Nvidia Shield for me? Thank you.
Oh, NO internet web browser build in the Nvidia Shield?

How do I set all the URL links for streaming?
How do I search for web contents?

Am I better off getting one of those cheap Kodi box in Amazon?
Nvidia Shield is most expensive. Since I do NO gaming, only do web search and streaming video. Is Nvidia Shield for me?

Thank you.

Posted 11/07/2017 04:46 PM   
[quote="jgy2001"]Oh, NO internet web browser build in the Nvidia Shield? How do I set all the URL links for streaming? How do I search for web contents? Am I better off getting one of those cheap Kodi box in Amazon? Nvidia Shield is most expensive. Since I do NO gaming, only do web search and streaming video. Is Nvidia Shield for me? Thank you.[/quote] no chrome for the shield android tv version. i guess use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lex.com.webbrowser&hl=en which let you manually type urls. i use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudmosa.puffinTV&hl=en doesn't let you type manual urls, but support flash player (outdated). you can cast from you mobile to the shied tv using google home, if it not a google product or a nivdia shield tablet k1. just make sure you enable ipv6 and wait for a few minutes, then disable it for a few minutes under network settings -> ipv6 -> enable ipv6 for the shield tv.
jgy2001 said:Oh, NO internet web browser build in the Nvidia Shield?

How do I set all the URL links for streaming?
How do I search for web contents?

Am I better off getting one of those cheap Kodi box in Amazon?
Nvidia Shield is most expensive. Since I do NO gaming, only do web search and streaming video. Is Nvidia Shield for me?

Thank you.

no chrome for the shield android tv version.

i guess use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lex.com.webbrowser&hl=en which let you manually type urls.

i use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudmosa.puffinTV&hl=en doesn't let you type manual urls, but support flash player (outdated).

you can cast from you mobile to the shied tv using google home, if it not a google product or a nivdia shield tablet k1. just make sure you enable ipv6 and wait for a few minutes, then disable it for a few minutes under network settings -> ipv6 -> enable ipv6 for the shield tv.

Posted 11/08/2017 02:44 PM   
Thank you very much. In Nvidia Shield TV, can I create a text file of lines of URL or Internet shortcut . When click, the selected web site will be launched? I assume the Nvidia Shield hard drive file system is same as Android in FAT format?
Thank you very much.

In Nvidia Shield TV, can I create a text file of lines of URL or Internet shortcut .
When click, the selected web site will be launched?

I assume the Nvidia Shield hard drive file system is same as Android in FAT format?

Posted 11/09/2017 04:07 AM   
The Nvidia Shield is not for you. All you seem interested into is suspicious web content and streams you won't have to pay for. Android TV was NOT built with web browsers in mind at all. Get a lousy "Kodi box" and be prepared to replace it in less than one year when you'll inevitably think it sucks. BTW: no Android device ever used a FAT file system. Ever.
The Nvidia Shield is not for you.

All you seem interested into is suspicious web content and streams you won't have to pay for. Android TV was NOT built with web browsers in mind at all.

Get a lousy "Kodi box" and be prepared to replace it in less than one year when you'll inevitably think it sucks.

BTW: no Android device ever used a FAT file system. Ever.

Posted 11/09/2017 04:29 AM   
[quote="jgy2001"]Thank you very much. In Nvidia Shield TV, can I create a text file of lines of URL or Internet shortcut . When click, the selected web site will be launched? I assume the Nvidia Shield hard drive file system is same as Android in FAT format?[/quote] this use the 1st one i posted: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lex.com.webbrowser&hl=en it'll let you type urls, like you do on computer and mobile with a virtual keyboard.
jgy2001 said:Thank you very much.

In Nvidia Shield TV, can I create a text file of lines of URL or Internet shortcut .
When click, the selected web site will be launched?

I assume the Nvidia Shield hard drive file system is same as Android in FAT format?

this use the 1st one i posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lex.com.webbrowser&hl=en

it'll let you type urls, like you do on computer and mobile with a virtual keyboard.

Posted 11/09/2017 02:47 PM   
Yes as has been stated they are 100% identical. Sans the inclusion of the Gamepad. The cost difference of which, makes the Streamer ONLY package a massive joke. You are saving like ~20$ over the "Full Package", and giving up a Gamepad that is itself about ~60$ new. So no not even remotely a good deal. To the Cat asking about Chrome... Yes you can install it, and use a Wireless Keyboard with it. You will however need to also install something called the "Sideload Launcher" in order to run it. As to which Formats the Shield uses... It runs the Gambit between RAW, EXT4, and FAT32 (e.g. /system & /data). Not that I could envision a reason for giving a damn on the 16GB eMMC version. As for easy streaming there are plenty of other Applications that run on top of Android TV.. I forget the name of the latest One to come 'round. But a few peps were seemingly impressed with it to spam this Forum with news of it. Personally just stick to Kodi would be my advice. The only singular thing outside of its SoC, (e.g. Device specific games), is the fact that it also has Widevine Level 1 DRM access. For the things that need it. HBO, Amazon, Netflix just to name a few. I'll just wish you well to try and, find a cheapo China Kodibox that can do the same.
Yes as has been stated they are 100% identical. Sans the inclusion of the Gamepad. The cost difference of which, makes the Streamer ONLY package a massive joke. You are saving like ~20$ over the "Full Package", and giving up a Gamepad that is itself about ~60$ new.

So no not even remotely a good deal.

To the Cat asking about Chrome... Yes you can install it, and use a Wireless Keyboard with it. You will however need to also install something called the "Sideload Launcher" in order to run it.

As to which Formats the Shield uses... It runs the Gambit between RAW, EXT4, and FAT32 (e.g. /system & /data). Not that I could envision a reason for giving a damn on the 16GB eMMC version.

As for easy streaming there are plenty of other Applications that run on top of Android TV.. I forget the name of the latest One to come 'round. But a few peps were seemingly impressed with it to spam this Forum with news of it. Personally just stick to Kodi would be my advice.

The only singular thing outside of its SoC, (e.g. Device specific games), is the fact that it also has Widevine Level 1 DRM access. For the things that need it. HBO, Amazon, Netflix just to name a few. I'll just wish you well to try and, find a cheapo China Kodibox that can do the same.

Posted 11/09/2017 03:25 PM   
The streaming services I am most interested is the free streaming services offer by our local library. Particularly most interested in PBS documentary. The best I found so far is from Berkeley city library. Thanks.
The streaming services I am most interested is the free streaming services offer by our local library. Particularly most interested in PBS documentary. The best I found so far is from Berkeley city library.
Thanks.

Posted 11/09/2017 05:37 PM   
[quote="jgy2001"]The streaming services I am most interested is the free streaming services offer by our local library. Particularly most interested in PBS documentary. The best I found so far is from Berkeley city library. Thanks.[/quote] If streaming from your library is what you are concerned about, then there are several apps that allow you to do so. Something like this may work: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overdrive.mobile.android.mediaconsole shows as compatible with the Shield, though not sure if it works or not. There are also others like Hoopla, some may allow you to at least cast to the Shield.
jgy2001 said:The streaming services I am most interested is the free streaming services offer by our local library. Particularly most interested in PBS documentary. The best I found so far is from Berkeley city library.
Thanks.

If streaming from your library is what you are concerned about, then there are several apps that allow you to do so. Something like this may work: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overdrive.mobile.android.mediaconsole shows as compatible with the Shield, though not sure if it works or not. There are also others like Hoopla, some may allow you to at least cast to the Shield.

Posted 11/09/2017 07:21 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top