Issue w/ High Sierra 10.13.1
  1 / 2    
I updated my Mac to 10.13.1 yesterday. After the update, the web driver was disabled. A few hours later, I received a notice that a new driver was available. After updating my webdriver to 378.10.10.10.20.107, I have been unable to login. When I try to login, the desktop loads, and then crashes/goes back to the login screen. To use my computer again, I reset the NVRAM to load the basic OSX graphics card driver. Is anyone else having this issue? Does this sound like a kernel panic? Any suggestions? Running GTX 660 in cMP 5,1.
I updated my Mac to 10.13.1 yesterday. After the update, the web driver was disabled. A few hours later, I received a notice that a new driver was available. After updating my webdriver to 378.10.10.10.20.107, I have been unable to login. When I try to login, the desktop loads, and then crashes/goes back to the login screen. To use my computer again, I reset the NVRAM to load the basic OSX graphics card driver.

Is anyone else having this issue? Does this sound like a kernel panic? Any suggestions? Running GTX 660 in cMP 5,1.

Posted 11/01/2017 04:10 PM   
378.10.10.10.20.107 is the first web driver for High Sierra that doesn't have corruption on my EVGA Mac Edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2 GB. Read here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1026181/geforce-apple-gpus/high-sierra-web-driver-install-error/post/5236973/#5236973 A kernel panic would require a restart of the computer. If the computer didn't restart then I think you need to check for a crash log instead of a kernel panic log. What kind of display are you using? What port is it connected to? What resolution are you using? Nvidia drivers for Mac have crappy MST support. MST is used by 5K displays or 4K displays that are not SST, both of which require a boot-args parameter "nv_spanmodepolicy=1". 5K works on my Dell 5K display with a Titan X, but I have to turn it off after boot, wait for the following output on the serial port: kPEDisableScreen -1 kPEEnableScreen -1 kPEDisableScreen -1 then turn it on to get 5K which produces this output on the serial port: kPEEnableScreen -1 kPEDisableScreen -1 kPEEnableScreen -1 kPEDisableScreen -1 kPEEnableScreen -1 kPEDisableScreen -1 kPEEnableScreen -1 kPEDisableScreen -1 kPEEnableScreen -1 kPEDisableScreen -1 kPEEnableScreen -1 I don't think people have gotten 5K to work on other displays (HP, or LG Thunderbolt 3 display) with Nvidia.
378.10.10.10.20.107 is the first web driver for High Sierra that doesn't have corruption on my EVGA Mac Edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2 GB. Read here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1026181/geforce-apple-gpus/high-sierra-web-driver-install-error/post/5236973/#5236973

A kernel panic would require a restart of the computer. If the computer didn't restart then I think you need to check for a crash log instead of a kernel panic log.

What kind of display are you using? What port is it connected to? What resolution are you using? Nvidia drivers for Mac have crappy MST support. MST is used by 5K displays or 4K displays that are not SST, both of which require a boot-args parameter "nv_spanmodepolicy=1". 5K works on my Dell 5K display with a Titan X, but I have to turn it off after boot, wait for the following output on the serial port:
kPEDisableScreen -1
kPEEnableScreen -1
kPEDisableScreen -1

then turn it on to get 5K which produces this output on the serial port:
kPEEnableScreen -1
kPEDisableScreen -1
kPEEnableScreen -1
kPEDisableScreen -1
kPEEnableScreen -1
kPEDisableScreen -1
kPEEnableScreen -1
kPEDisableScreen -1
kPEEnableScreen -1
kPEDisableScreen -1
kPEEnableScreen -1

I don't think people have gotten 5K to work on other displays (HP, or LG Thunderbolt 3 display) with Nvidia.

Posted 11/02/2017 01:15 AM   
Thanks for your reply. Interesting, I have experienced corruption (as you describe it in the other post) with 10.13 (whether the driver is on or off). Unfortunately since I can't log in, I'm not sure if I am experiencing corruption with the .120 driver. Something is happening on login that crashes the system. It does not restart, so it must be something other than a kernel panic. 24 inch apple LED display (DisplayPort at 1920x1200) 20 inch apple Cinema Display (DVI at 1680x1050) TV connected at 1920x1080
Thanks for your reply.

Interesting, I have experienced corruption (as you describe it in the other post) with 10.13 (whether the driver is on or off). Unfortunately since I can't log in, I'm not sure if I am experiencing corruption with the .120 driver. Something is happening on login that crashes the system. It does not restart, so it must be something other than a kernel panic.

24 inch apple LED display (DisplayPort at 1920x1200)
20 inch apple Cinema Display (DVI at 1680x1050)
TV connected at 1920x1080

Posted 11/02/2017 03:55 AM   
I made progress with the issue, but still limited and worse off than I was with 10.13.0 and the previous webdriver... Considering what you said about issues with higher resolution, I tried disconnecting the third output (TV at 1920x1080). After doing this, I was able to log in. However, if I connect the TV, the computer crashes and the login screen appears. Unfortunately I am still seeing coloured lines and blocks on the screen when using the .120 webdriver. This happen from time to time, and seems to happen only when my memory usage is over 50% according to iStat monitor.
I made progress with the issue, but still limited and worse off than I was with 10.13.0 and the previous webdriver...

Considering what you said about issues with higher resolution, I tried disconnecting the third output (TV at 1920x1080). After doing this, I was able to log in. However, if I connect the TV, the computer crashes and the login screen appears.

Unfortunately I am still seeing coloured lines and blocks on the screen when using the .120 webdriver. This happen from time to time, and seems to happen only when my memory usage is over 50% according to iStat monitor.

Posted 11/02/2017 04:38 AM   
TV is HDMI? What if you connect the Apple Cinema Display to the HDMI? Then the TV to the DVI? The issue may be with the port (HDMI), or the display type (TV). Maybe the TV is trying a different color space (not RGB?). The 24 inch LED display is DisplayPort only? There are powered (using USB for power) HDMI to DisplayPort adapters (expensive?) and passive DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters (least expensive), so you can switch around all your displays.
TV is HDMI? What if you connect the Apple Cinema Display to the HDMI? Then the TV to the DVI?

The issue may be with the port (HDMI), or the display type (TV). Maybe the TV is trying a different color space (not RGB?).

The 24 inch LED display is DisplayPort only? There are powered (using USB for power) HDMI to DisplayPort adapters (expensive?) and passive DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters (least expensive), so you can switch around all your displays.

Posted 11/02/2017 12:01 PM   
I've tried changing connections. What I find is that the card works with 2 inputs, in any configuration. Once I add a third, it crashes. TV - HDMI, 1920x1080 Cinema - DVI, 1680x1050 24 Apple - Displayport, 1920x1200 (I am using a Displayport to Minidisplay port adapter for the 24 apple)
I've tried changing connections. What I find is that the card works with 2 inputs, in any configuration. Once I add a third, it crashes.

TV - HDMI, 1920x1080
Cinema - DVI, 1680x1050
24 Apple - Displayport, 1920x1200
(I am using a Displayport to Minidisplay port adapter for the 24 apple)

Posted 11/02/2017 03:16 PM   
I tried connecting multiple displays using my EVGA Mac Edition 680 and the latest web drivers 378.10.10.10.20.107. The WindowServer process started spinning (taking 100% CPU at the third or fourth display). It would come back when I disconnected some displays. I tried Apple's drivers, and they seemed to have no problem with 4 displays. I booted with four displays using the Nvidia drivers and all four displays worked. DVI-D: Apple 30" Cinema Display 2560x1600 60Hz DVI-I VGA: Sony GDM-F520 2048x1536 60Hz HDMI: Dell 27" P2415Q 2560x1440 HiDPI 4K 30Hz DisplayPort: Dell 27" UP2715K 2560x1440 HiDPI 4K 60Hz Maybe the Nvidia drivers have a problem with hot plug? I tried unplugging them and reconnecting the displays and that seemed to work without issues. Maybe the restarts (after quitting all my apps) cleared things up? I'm just running Safari now but before the restarts I was also using several other apps (Google Chrome, iTunes, Preview, BBEdit, Outlook, Excel). I started up those apps with no problem now though.
I tried connecting multiple displays using my EVGA Mac Edition 680 and the latest web drivers 378.10.10.10.20.107. The WindowServer process started spinning (taking 100% CPU at the third or fourth display). It would come back when I disconnected some displays.

I tried Apple's drivers, and they seemed to have no problem with 4 displays. I booted with four displays using the Nvidia drivers and all four displays worked.

DVI-D: Apple 30" Cinema Display 2560x1600 60Hz
DVI-I VGA: Sony GDM-F520 2048x1536 60Hz
HDMI: Dell 27" P2415Q 2560x1440 HiDPI 4K 30Hz
DisplayPort: Dell 27" UP2715K 2560x1440 HiDPI 4K 60Hz

Maybe the Nvidia drivers have a problem with hot plug?

I tried unplugging them and reconnecting the displays and that seemed to work without issues.

Maybe the restarts (after quitting all my apps) cleared things up? I'm just running Safari now but before the restarts I was also using several other apps (Google Chrome, iTunes, Preview, BBEdit, Outlook, Excel). I started up those apps with no problem now though.

Posted 11/02/2017 06:58 PM   
I have resolved my issue. I had a second card, GTX 750TI, in my machine that had nothing connected. This card was working with the previous web driver and OS, but stopped working after updating theOS. I did not think to remove it because nothing was connected. With the new driver, the login screen appears on this secondary card, but when I connected a display to it and the same problem occurred as with the 660 with more than 2 displays connected. Once the GTX 750ti was removed, all of my issues for the 660 card were resolved. I can now connect 3 displays. I am still seeing coloured blocks and lines from time to time.
I have resolved my issue.

I had a second card, GTX 750TI, in my machine that had nothing connected. This card was working with the previous web driver and OS, but stopped working after updating theOS. I did not think to remove it because nothing was connected. With the new driver, the login screen appears on this secondary card, but when I connected a display to it and the same problem occurred as with the 660 with more than 2 displays connected.

Once the GTX 750ti was removed, all of my issues for the 660 card were resolved. I can now connect 3 displays.

I am still seeing coloured blocks and lines from time to time.

Posted 11/02/2017 08:11 PM   
I am having the exact same issue with different Nvidia cards and monitors. We still have 2 12-core 5.1 Mac Pro models (upgraded with 3.46 GHz processors and very fast PCIe M.2 SSDs, etc.) with Cyclone expansion boards (for a total of 8 available PCIe slots for each machine). I have 3 Nvidia GeoForce 680s (Mac Version) in each that have been running 3 higher end monitors - 1 EIZO ColorEdge Monitor (for color grading) and 2 Samsung 4K monitors (for editing, compositing and Vfx work). I have been running Nvidia Web Drivers and CUDA with High Sierra 10.13 (and industry standard software that requires CUDA). Everything has been working fine until I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.1 and the latest versions of the Nvidia Web Driver and the new CUDA driver (20.107 and 9.0.222 respectively). Since then the machines have been in the boot loop exactly as you describe above. The only way I have been able to get out of the loop was to boot the machines in "Safety Mode" and manually remove the Nvidia Web Driver. Now I can log back into my computers, but without the benefit of the Nvidia Driver (which is absolutely required for RedShift rendering). Also, I have just ordered new GeoForce 1080 Ti cards as another upgrade, and I'm sure when I install them, they will not run (until we can get the Nvidia Web drivers working). Nvidia and Apple if your listening, we could use help. For the sake of your customers, isn't it about time that the new Nvidia GeoForce driers are made part of OSX upgrades??
I am having the exact same issue with different Nvidia cards and monitors. We still have 2 12-core 5.1 Mac Pro models (upgraded with 3.46 GHz processors and very fast PCIe M.2 SSDs, etc.) with Cyclone expansion boards (for a total of 8 available PCIe slots for each machine). I have 3 Nvidia GeoForce 680s (Mac Version) in each that have been running 3 higher end monitors - 1 EIZO ColorEdge Monitor (for color grading) and 2 Samsung 4K monitors (for editing, compositing and Vfx work). I have been running Nvidia Web Drivers and CUDA with High Sierra 10.13 (and industry standard software that requires CUDA). Everything has been working fine until I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.1 and the latest versions of the Nvidia Web Driver and the new CUDA driver (20.107 and 9.0.222 respectively).

Since then the machines have been in the boot loop exactly as you describe above. The only way I have been able to get out of the loop was to boot the machines in "Safety Mode" and manually remove the Nvidia Web Driver. Now I can log back into my computers, but without the benefit of the Nvidia Driver (which is absolutely required for RedShift rendering). Also, I have just ordered new GeoForce 1080 Ti cards as another upgrade, and I'm sure when I install them, they will not run (until we can get the Nvidia Web drivers working). Nvidia and Apple if your listening, we could use help. For the sake of your customers, isn't it about time that the new Nvidia GeoForce driers are made part of OSX upgrades??

Posted 11/06/2017 04:23 AM   
I believe this is an issue with Metal 2. The NVIDIA driver and/or some GPU (like the 750TI) crash WindowServer (or a similar thread) during login. I'm also using upgraded CPU and PCIe M.2. Maybe it is a hardware problem. I wonder how many others are having this issue -- anyone using a cMP 5,1 in a standard configuration may be able to rule this out. I'm having frequent corruption with 10.13.1, with/without the .107 webdriver. I hope this is resolved in the 10.13.2
I believe this is an issue with Metal 2. The NVIDIA driver and/or some GPU (like the 750TI) crash WindowServer (or a similar thread) during login. I'm also using upgraded CPU and PCIe M.2. Maybe it is a hardware problem. I wonder how many others are having this issue -- anyone using a cMP 5,1 in a standard configuration may be able to rule this out.

I'm having frequent corruption with 10.13.1, with/without the .107 webdriver. I hope this is resolved in the 10.13.2

Posted 11/07/2017 04:00 AM   
Still no solution!!! I've gotten out of the "Boot Loop" error (that is described above). You can do this either by starting up in "Safe Mode" (and deleting Nvidia's Web Drivers), or you can re-set the PRAM, in which case the next time you boot the default OS X display drivers will take over. However, I still cannot get Nvidia's Web Display Drivers to work on 10.13.1. I've followed all the suggestions on making sure the driver files have installed correctly (disabling the Gatekeeper, etc.) but with no solution. Basically, I can use my machines with the default display drivers without error, but every time I choose the Nvidia 10.13.1 drivers (20.107) the Mac Pros go back into the dreaded loop. That means no CPU based 3D rendering, and no use of my new 1080 Ti cards (and all of the their advantages) until Nvidia or Apple come up with a fix. As far as going backwards (to a version that used to work such as 10.13.0) I should also mention that Time Machine will not restore a M.2 PCIe boot disk. I tried to restore the previous version of High Sierra which I had perfectly backed up. Time Machine will write the back-up to boot disk, but then it will dismantle the boot functions of that M.2 disk. Ouch! This is a nightmare.
Still no solution!!!

I've gotten out of the "Boot Loop" error (that is described above). You can do this either by starting up in "Safe Mode" (and deleting Nvidia's Web Drivers), or you can re-set the PRAM, in which case the next time you boot the default OS X display drivers will take over.

However, I still cannot get Nvidia's Web Display Drivers to work on 10.13.1. I've followed all the suggestions on making sure the driver files have installed correctly (disabling the Gatekeeper, etc.) but with no solution. Basically, I can use my machines with the default display drivers without error, but every time I choose the Nvidia 10.13.1 drivers (20.107) the Mac Pros go back into the dreaded loop. That means no CPU based 3D rendering, and no use of my new 1080 Ti cards (and all of the their advantages) until Nvidia or Apple come up with a fix.

As far as going backwards (to a version that used to work such as 10.13.0) I should also mention that Time Machine will not restore a M.2 PCIe boot disk. I tried to restore the previous version of High Sierra which I had perfectly backed up. Time Machine will write the back-up to boot disk, but then it will dismantle the boot functions of that M.2 disk. Ouch! This is a nightmare.

Posted 11/08/2017 09:00 AM   
Sorry to hear that you are in such an awful situation. Is your new drive formatted in APFS? If you're not in APFS, I suggest installing a copy of 10.12 and "migrating" your system to the new installation. This is a temporary measure, as you can then verify that everything is working properly and use disk image to mirror the new SATA-based install to your m.2 drive. This would, effectively, downgrade your system from 10.13 to 10.12 If that is not a good option, you could try your luck with the public beta of 10.13.2 ..... I see the next update is concerned with performance and bug fixes.
Sorry to hear that you are in such an awful situation.

Is your new drive formatted in APFS? If you're not in APFS, I suggest installing a copy of 10.12 and "migrating" your system to the new installation. This is a temporary measure, as you can then verify that everything is working properly and use disk image to mirror the new SATA-based install to your m.2 drive. This would, effectively, downgrade your system from 10.13 to 10.12

If that is not a good option, you could try your luck with the public beta of 10.13.2 ..... I see the next update is concerned with performance and bug fixes.

Posted 11/09/2017 03:43 AM   
Hi I am experiencing the same issues as mathayden, I have file a bug report with nvidia.
Hi I am experiencing the same issues as mathayden, I have file a bug report with nvidia.

Posted 11/10/2017 04:40 AM   
Maybe we should be sure we are having the same "issues" so others can know whether or not they are also encountering any or all symptoms: - Unable to login (for some NVIDIA cards) - Crashing (returns to login screen) - Corruption (less frequent than in 10.13.0) - Some cards not working (eg 750ti) ....Anything else?
Maybe we should be sure we are having the same "issues" so others can know whether or not they are also encountering any or all symptoms:

- Unable to login (for some NVIDIA cards)
- Crashing (returns to login screen)
- Corruption (less frequent than in 10.13.0)
- Some cards not working (eg 750ti)

....Anything else?

Posted 11/11/2017 08:33 AM   
[quote="jessica0215"]Maybe we should be sure we are having the same "issues" so others can know whether or not they are also encountering any or all symptoms: - Unable to login (for some NVIDIA cards) - Crashing (returns to login screen) - Corruption (less frequent than in 10.13.0) - Some cards not working (eg 750ti) ....Anything else?[/quote] - Unable to login (for some NVIDIA cards) - I am experiencing this (GTX Titan X and GTX 1080) - Crashing (returns to login screen) - I am experiencing this - Corruption (less frequent than in 10.13.0) - I am experiencing this
jessica0215 said:Maybe we should be sure we are having the same "issues" so others can know whether or not they are also encountering any or all symptoms:

- Unable to login (for some NVIDIA cards)
- Crashing (returns to login screen)
- Corruption (less frequent than in 10.13.0)
- Some cards not working (eg 750ti)

....Anything else?

- Unable to login (for some NVIDIA cards) - I am experiencing this (GTX Titan X and GTX 1080)
- Crashing (returns to login screen) - I am experiencing this
- Corruption (less frequent than in 10.13.0) - I am experiencing this

Posted 11/12/2017 04:18 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top