High Sierra Web Driver install error
I get an error during install on the following: MacPro3,1 with EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition 2 GB Hackintosh with EVGA Nvidia Titan X SC Gaming 12 GB Both have SIP disabled. I don't think the installer failed but how can I be sure? The 680 has artifacts with the latest web drivers (it used to work in Sierra). The Titan X seems to be working fine (except for known issues with 5K Dell display).
I get an error during install on the following:

MacPro3,1 with EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition 2 GB
Hackintosh with EVGA Nvidia Titan X SC Gaming 12 GB

Both have SIP disabled. I don't think the installer failed but how can I be sure?

The 680 has artifacts with the latest web drivers (it used to work in Sierra).
The Titan X seems to be working fine (except for known issues with 5K Dell display).

Posted 10/08/2017 10:37 PM   
I had the same problem, I know what error youre talking about. After I reboot, the drivers don't work. Acceleration isn't working. Theres no transparency, window dragging and all UI animation doesn't work. This did not occur in Seirra 10.12. Only on my High SIerra 10.13 installs.
I had the same problem, I know what error youre talking about. After I reboot, the drivers don't work. Acceleration isn't working. Theres no transparency, window dragging and all UI animation doesn't work. This did not occur in Seirra 10.12. Only on my High SIerra 10.13 installs.

Posted 10/09/2017 03:10 AM   
Are you referring to a Kepler card, like the 680?
Are you referring to a Kepler card, like the 680?

Posted 10/09/2017 04:51 AM   
Yes, actually. The card presently in the computer is a GT 740. Though I have a GTX 1060 that I haven't installed yet because I'm awaiting shipping the power cables for the mac pros pcie power. I was also afraid that the 1060 might not work because of this problem, because osx doesn't drivers for Pascal built in as where my GT 740 works out of the box.
Yes, actually. The card presently in the computer is a GT 740. Though I have a GTX 1060 that I haven't installed yet because I'm awaiting shipping the power cables for the mac pros pcie power.
I was also afraid that the 1060 might not work because of this problem, because osx doesn't drivers for Pascal built in as where my GT 740 works out of the box.

Posted 10/09/2017 11:27 PM   
I [quote="jlj945"]I had the same problem, I know what error youre talking about. After I reboot, the drivers don't work. Acceleration isn't working. Theres no transparency, window dragging and all UI animation doesn't work. This did not occur in Seirra 10.12. Only on my High SIerra 10.13 installs. [/quote] I have the very same issue with my Mac Pro 5.1 running a GTX 970. When SIP is enabled, the installation succeeds, but the GPU just won't work at all. With SIP disabled, the installer prompts the error, but the card is at least barely working with the problems you mentioned. I hope NVidia will provide a fix soon.
I
jlj945 said:I had the same problem, I know what error youre talking about. After I reboot, the drivers don't work. Acceleration isn't working. Theres no transparency, window dragging and all UI animation doesn't work. This did not occur in Seirra 10.12. Only on my High SIerra 10.13 installs.

I have the very same issue with my Mac Pro 5.1 running a GTX 970. When SIP is enabled, the installation succeeds, but the GPU just won't work at all. With SIP disabled, the installer prompts the error, but the card is at least barely working with the problems you mentioned. I hope NVidia will provide a fix soon.

Posted 10/11/2017 05:32 PM   
[quote="Rarlab_WinRAR"] I have the very same issue with my Mac Pro 5.1 running a GTX 970. When SIP is enabled, the installation succeeds, but the GPU just won't work at all. With SIP disabled, the installer prompts the error, but the card is at least barely working with the problems you mentioned. I hope NVidia will provide a fix soon.[/quote] Problem is still present for me in 378.10.10.10.15.120 In reading on some other forums, some people say to ENABLE SIP when installing or updating the drivers. I'm not sure why but thats what they say to do and have reported it working. Could you test this? I'm running on a MacPro 3,1 2008, its technically "unsupported" by apple and I cannot enable SIP as it keeps the patch working for High Sierra.
Rarlab_WinRAR said: I have the very same issue with my Mac Pro 5.1 running a GTX 970. When SIP is enabled, the installation succeeds, but the GPU just won't work at all. With SIP disabled, the installer prompts the error, but the card is at least barely working with the problems you mentioned. I hope NVidia will provide a fix soon.

Problem is still present for me in 378.10.10.10.15.120

In reading on some other forums, some people say to ENABLE SIP when installing or updating the drivers. I'm not sure why but thats what they say to do and have reported it working. Could you test this? I'm running on a MacPro 3,1 2008, its technically "unsupported" by apple and I cannot enable SIP as it keeps the patch working for High Sierra.

Posted 10/20/2017 12:10 AM   
Problem still exists with 378.10.10.10.15.121. I used Pacifist.app to look at the installer. There's a preinstall script that checks if SIP is disabled, then outputs the error: "The NVIDIA Web Driver Installer has encountered a problem. The Installer has encountered an issue with your system and the NVIDIA Web Driver may not install properly. Click Continue to proceed or click Cancel to abort the installation process." Questions: 1) Why is having SIP disabled a problem? The install script doesn't seem to behave differently if it is disabled, unless I'm missing something? 2) Why doesn't the error mention the problem is SIP being disabled, so the user can know that it needs to be enabled? 3) Isn't there a way for the postinstall script to check if the web driver installed properly? Also, the 121 web driver continues to have corruption with my EVGA Mac edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2 GB. The corruption appears when dragging windows around. The corruption does not appear in screenshots.
Problem still exists with 378.10.10.10.15.121. I used Pacifist.app to look at the installer. There's a preinstall script that checks if SIP is disabled, then outputs the error:

"The NVIDIA Web Driver Installer has encountered a problem.

The Installer has encountered an issue with your system and the NVIDIA Web Driver may not install properly. Click Continue to proceed or click Cancel to abort the installation process."

Questions:

1) Why is having SIP disabled a problem? The install script doesn't seem to behave differently if it is disabled, unless I'm missing something?

2) Why doesn't the error mention the problem is SIP being disabled, so the user can know that it needs to be enabled?

3) Isn't there a way for the postinstall script to check if the web driver installed properly?

Also, the 121 web driver continues to have corruption with my EVGA Mac edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2 GB. The corruption appears when dragging windows around. The corruption does not appear in screenshots.

Posted 10/28/2017 06:40 AM   
I installed 10.13.1, and the new Nvidia web drivers 378.10.10.10.20.107. The SIP check is removed from the installer's preinstall script so it doesn't output an error. Also, the window dragging corruption is gone, so I can now use the web driver with my EVGA Mac edition 680 and the corresponding CUDA driver. The Finder occasionally displays a black rectangle instead of text in some row/column of a Finder list window (like one of the date fields), but I guess that's just a problem with the Finder.
I installed 10.13.1, and the new Nvidia web drivers 378.10.10.10.20.107.

The SIP check is removed from the installer's preinstall script so it doesn't output an error. Also, the window dragging corruption is gone, so I can now use the web driver with my EVGA Mac edition 680 and the corresponding CUDA driver. The Finder occasionally displays a black rectangle instead of text in some row/column of a Finder list window (like one of the date fields), but I guess that's just a problem with the Finder.

Posted 11/02/2017 01:04 AM   
Had to restart the computer today because everything turned into black rectangles. Seems like a very rare problem since I've been running the computer for a couple days without problem.
Had to restart the computer today because everything turned into black rectangles. Seems like a very rare problem since I've been running the computer for a couple days without problem.

Posted 11/03/2017 06:20 PM   
Today I've just installed 378.10.10.10.20.107 (now on 10.13.1 obviously), and the problem is gone. Driver seems to be working fine. I also tested this on my mini with a 9400 which also had the problem last time. Both seem to be working normally now. I haven'y launched any games yet but the OS is smooth with no glitches anymore.
Today I've just installed 378.10.10.10.20.107 (now on 10.13.1 obviously), and the problem is gone. Driver seems to be working fine. I also tested this on my mini with a 9400 which also had the problem last time. Both seem to be working normally now.
I haven'y launched any games yet but the OS is smooth with no glitches anymore.

Posted 11/07/2017 01:28 AM   
Hi guys, Unless you've already looked into it, there's a host of other people reporting the same black window problem, or similar issues. IIRC NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext is one possible solution. Hope this helps.
Hi guys,

Unless you've already looked into it, there's a host of other people reporting the same black window problem, or similar issues.
IIRC NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext is one possible solution.

Hope this helps.

Posted 11/10/2017 11:05 AM   
I constantly get the black rectangles in Finder in both a 2010 Mac Pro with a GTX980ti and a 2012 Mac Pro with a GTX1080 I'm also getting very poor performance in Chrome and poor overall system UI animation. Google Sheets are almost impossible to work on. Turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome sort of fixes the issues. There clearly are some problems with the latest video drivers or their implementation Adobe Premiere seems to be rendering things ok, so CUDA must be working fine Details: macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (17B1003) Nvidia Web Drivers 378.10.10.10.20.109 CUDA 9.0.222 [b]UPDATE: [/b]Upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.2 and Nvidia Web Drivers 378.10.10.10.25.102 has fixed most issues for me
I constantly get the black rectangles in Finder in both a 2010 Mac Pro with a GTX980ti and a 2012 Mac Pro with a GTX1080

I'm also getting very poor performance in Chrome and poor overall system UI animation.
Google Sheets are almost impossible to work on.
Turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome sort of fixes the issues.

There clearly are some problems with the latest video drivers or their implementation

Adobe Premiere seems to be rendering things ok, so CUDA must be working fine

Details:
macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (17B1003)
Nvidia Web Drivers 378.10.10.10.20.109
CUDA 9.0.222

UPDATE: Upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.2 and Nvidia Web Drivers 378.10.10.10.25.102 has fixed most issues for me

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
CPU: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
RAM: 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Video: EVGA GTX 1080
Monitor: Dell UP2715K
macOS Sierra 10.13.2

Posted 12/11/2017 03:17 PM   
Scroll To Top