Ontology.dll Came Up as a Trojan?
  1 / 3    
Not sure if anyone else had this come up today/this week, but Malwarebytes just detected Ontology.dll as a Trojan, and quarantined it. [url]https://i.gyazo.com/bfb4f09437be73eaadbe14030c1550b6.png[/url]
Not sure if anyone else had this come up today/this week, but Malwarebytes just detected Ontology.dll as a Trojan, and quarantined it.

https://i.gyazo.com/bfb4f09437be73eaadbe14030c1550b6.png

Posted 10/06/2017 11:50 PM   
Same for me, not sure what to do with it yet
Same for me, not sure what to do with it yet

Posted 10/06/2017 11:58 PM   
From what I can tell its a legitimate NVIDIA program
From what I can tell its a legitimate NVIDIA program

Posted 10/06/2017 11:59 PM   
Seems like false positive. I dropped the file into Virustotal and it came up clean. And the other AV on my computer, bitdefender did not find anything when scanning the file in question. Maybe quarantine it to be safe, but i'm not quite sure if that would break some Nvidia driver function or something.
Seems like false positive. I dropped the file into Virustotal and it came up clean. And the other AV on my computer, bitdefender did not find anything when scanning the file in question. Maybe quarantine it to be safe, but i'm not quite sure if that would break some Nvidia driver function or something.

Posted 10/07/2017 12:06 AM   
Same thing just happened to me - Malwarebytes quarantined the same dll. Seems like a false positive.
Same thing just happened to me - Malwarebytes quarantined the same dll. Seems like a false positive.

Posted 10/07/2017 12:10 AM   
Just had this happen to me as well. Kind of afraid to quarantine for fear of it messing up my driver. The only program that seems to be alerting on it is Malwarebytes.
Just had this happen to me as well. Kind of afraid to quarantine for fear of it messing up my driver. The only program that seems to be alerting on it is Malwarebytes.

Posted 10/07/2017 12:10 AM   
Same for me! Malwarebytes detect this as Trojan.crypt and send in quarantine!
Same for me! Malwarebytes detect this as Trojan.crypt and send in quarantine!

Posted 10/07/2017 12:11 AM   
(removed duplicate post)
(removed duplicate post)

Posted 10/07/2017 12:11 AM   
I did local scan on the Nvidia folder with Malwarebytes, along side with the ontology.dll, it went after something called "DAO.22947675.exe" which also comes clean in Virustotal and Bitdefender
I did local scan on the Nvidia folder with Malwarebytes, along side with the ontology.dll, it went after something called "DAO.22947675.exe" which also comes clean in Virustotal and Bitdefender

Posted 10/07/2017 12:15 AM   
I just had this problem today. After it quarantined the dll, I was stuck in a crash/reboot loop. Had to quickly remove it from quarantine before crash to restore my computer to normal. Fun stuff. Adding an exception should work for now. Like stated above, from what I can tell, it's a legitimate nvidia dll.
I just had this problem today. After it quarantined the dll, I was stuck in a crash/reboot loop. Had to quickly remove it from quarantine before crash to restore my computer to normal. Fun stuff.

Adding an exception should work for now. Like stated above, from what I can tell, it's a legitimate nvidia dll.

Posted 10/07/2017 12:17 AM   

Posted 10/07/2017 12:18 AM   
Quarantining it doesn't seem to break the driver - it breaks Geforce Experience. The app can no longer detect game settings.
Quarantining it doesn't seem to break the driver - it breaks Geforce Experience. The app can no longer detect game settings.

Posted 10/07/2017 12:18 AM   
[quote="beatvjiking"]Quarantining it doesn't seem to break the driver - it breaks Geforce Experience. The app can no longer detect game settings.[/quote] same for me.. no settings detected for all games.
beatvjiking said:Quarantining it doesn't seem to break the driver - it breaks Geforce Experience. The app can no longer detect game settings.

same for me.. no settings detected for all games.

Posted 10/07/2017 12:25 AM   
Just want to add i had the happen on three of my gaming rigs as well
Just want to add i had the happen on three of my gaming rigs as well

Posted 10/07/2017 12:31 AM   
I did wonder what was going on with Malwarebytes, trying to rack my brains as to which dodgy site could I have got a trojan from... I'm sure it'll get sorted soon, based on the feedback on here, it should be fine to restore the file from quarantine and whitelist the file for now.
I did wonder what was going on with Malwarebytes, trying to rack my brains as to which dodgy site could I have got a trojan from...
I'm sure it'll get sorted soon, based on the feedback on here, it should be fine to restore the file from quarantine and whitelist the file for now.

Posted 10/07/2017 12:31 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top