Forza Motorsport 7 - Stuttering, Freezing, Crashing
  1 / 2    
I don't know how much of this is down to the game and how much is down to the driver but even people on fairly high-end setups are having huge problems with this game. My setup is...modest - I can only fit a half-height card in [url=https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/marantz-cd5005-gaming-htpc-case.1494/]my case[/url], so that limits me to a 750ti or 1050ti. I currently have a 750ti which everything else works perfectly well on (PCARS1, Assetto Corsa, GOW4, Mad Max). Spec: AMD A10-7800 APU GTX 750ti 2GB 8GB DDR3-1866 OS on SSD Game on dedicated SSD Forza Horizon 3 was a nightmare. Eventually it played well enough but it wasn't great. Forza Motorsport 7 seems even worse. The demo was bad but the full game is really bad. When it plays ok, it's usually with micro stuttering. When it plays badly, its heavy stutters, lag, freezing and then crashing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've had races in what I'd expect to put the system under the most stress and everything has been fine. Conversely, conditions you'd expect to be "low stress" have resulted in crashing. Despite Turn10 claiming to have built this game "from the ground up for PC" - it just smacks of a poorly optimised xbox port. However, I ran a little test just to see if it could also be driver related. I ran the game on my A10-7800 APU's integrated graphics alone (GTX 750ti disabled). The tracks that were crashing, stop crashing. Graphics were terrible but gameplay was smooth for what little FPS I could achieve. I'm currently running the "game ready" driver for FM7 (385.69). How anyone could call this game "ready" is beyond me. Now you could say my setup is enough for the game but there's people running i7's and 1080's with much of the same issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/730ql7/forza_motorsport_7_full_game_bugs_and_pc/ FWIW, W10 gaming mode, DVR etc. are all disabled.
I don't know how much of this is down to the game and how much is down to the driver but even people on fairly high-end setups are having huge problems with this game.

My setup is...modest - I can only fit a half-height card in my case, so that limits me to a 750ti or 1050ti. I currently have a 750ti which everything else works perfectly well on (PCARS1, Assetto Corsa, GOW4, Mad Max).

Spec:
AMD A10-7800 APU
GTX 750ti 2GB
8GB DDR3-1866
OS on SSD
Game on dedicated SSD

Forza Horizon 3 was a nightmare. Eventually it played well enough but it wasn't great.

Forza Motorsport 7 seems even worse. The demo was bad but the full game is really bad. When it plays ok, it's usually with micro stuttering. When it plays badly, its heavy stutters, lag, freezing and then crashing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've had races in what I'd expect to put the system under the most stress and everything has been fine. Conversely, conditions you'd expect to be "low stress" have resulted in crashing.

Despite Turn10 claiming to have built this game "from the ground up for PC" - it just smacks of a poorly optimised xbox port.

However, I ran a little test just to see if it could also be driver related. I ran the game on my A10-7800 APU's integrated graphics alone (GTX 750ti disabled). The tracks that were crashing, stop crashing. Graphics were terrible but gameplay was smooth for what little FPS I could achieve.

I'm currently running the "game ready" driver for FM7 (385.69). How anyone could call this game "ready" is beyond me.

Now you could say my setup is enough for the game but there's people running i7's and 1080's with much of the same issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/730ql7/forza_motorsport_7_full_game_bugs_and_pc/

FWIW, W10 gaming mode, DVR etc. are all disabled.

Posted 10/02/2017 10:40 AM   
. If everything else is working great, its hard to want to change a thing. The difference between the GTX 750ti and the onboard aGPU is one is NVIDIA and the other AMD. So, maybe the game is programmed for AMD's and not NVIDIA? Otherwise, try these drivers and steps: Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5 or newer): [.]Install[/.] [.]run DDU[/.] [.]Select: Safe mode(recommended)[/.] [.]Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean and Restart[/.] Run the [url=http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab]Microsoft Show hide tool[/url] [.]Hide all NVIDIA software and driver[/.] [.]Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, [color="orange"]keep rerunning[/color][/.] Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/375.70/375.70-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe]375.70[/url] driver [.]Run DOWNLOAD package[/.] [.]Select: CUSTOM[/.] [.]Uncheck EVERYTHING excpet the GPU Driver and PHYSX[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL box[/.] [.]Finish install[/.] [.][color="orange"]Reboot[/color][/.] .

If everything else is working great, its hard to want to change a thing. The difference between the GTX 750ti and the onboard aGPU is one is NVIDIA and the other AMD.

So, maybe the game is programmed for AMD's and not NVIDIA?

Otherwise, try these drivers and steps:

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5 or newer):
  • Install
  • run DDU
  • Select: Safe mode(recommended)
  • Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers
  • Select: Clean and Restart

• Run the Microsoft Show hide tool
  • Hide all NVIDIA software and driver
  • Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, keep rerunning

• Download this 375.70 driver
  • Run DOWNLOAD package
  • Select: CUSTOM
  • Uncheck EVERYTHING excpet the GPU Driver and PHYSX
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL box
  • Finish install
  • Reboot

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
    Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 10/02/2017 12:36 PM   
    yep, done that with 385.69 - is 375.70 known to be causing people less issues (in general)?
    yep, done that with 385.69 - is 375.70 known to be causing people less issues (in general)?

Posted 10/02/2017 02:55 PM   
    . 375.70 is the Most stable recent driver. Prior to that is the 359.06 .

375.70 is the Most stable recent driver.

Prior to that is the 359.06

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 10/02/2017 05:29 PM   
    Well, I gave it a go and for about 60 seconds, everything was perfect...and then slight stuttering returned. However, I was finally able to finish the last race of a championship that had constantly crashed at some point! Further however, the first race of the next championship crashed, bah! Thanks for the tip, at least I managed to finish that one race! FWIW, you're probably right about the game being AMD optimised as it's an Xbox port and those run on AMD chipsets.
    Well, I gave it a go and for about 60 seconds, everything was perfect...and then slight stuttering returned. However, I was finally able to finish the last race of a championship that had constantly crashed at some point! Further however, the first race of the next championship crashed, bah!

Thanks for the tip, at least I managed to finish that one race! FWIW, you're probably right about the game being AMD optimised as it's an Xbox port and those run on AMD chipsets.

Posted 10/03/2017 08:15 AM   
    Well, I have the latest Nvidia Titan Xp with the updated drives installed and getting various issues with Forza 7, micro stutters during racers, various freezes and game application crashing/closing. My setup is simple 7700k, Cooled by NZXT X61, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Single Titan Xp running Windows 10 Pro. I bought the game off the Windows App Store, however, I will be seeking a full refund - I suggest you do the same.
    Well, I have the latest Nvidia Titan Xp with the updated drives installed and getting various issues with Forza 7, micro stutters during racers, various freezes and game application crashing/closing. My setup is simple 7700k, Cooled by NZXT X61, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Single Titan Xp running Windows 10 Pro.

I bought the game off the Windows App Store, however, I will be seeking a full refund - I suggest you do the same.

Posted 10/05/2017 07:11 PM   
    I've had similar crashing/stuttering issues mentioned. I disabled the Windows Game Mode/Bar/DVR, and it cleared up a lot of the stuttering/slow loading, but it didn't fix crashes (as also noted here). Then I remembered I also had some NVidia hardware settings enabled by default (FXAA and MFAA in particular) So I went to my NVidia Control Panel and disabled those features for Forza 7. Since then (been playing for about 2 hours) I haven't had any crashes to Windows. Did have it get stuck at a loading screen once so far though. (happened before) my basic specs: Windows 10 64-bit (upgrade from 7 x64) AMD FX 8150 8-core NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb 16gb DDR3 (2133 mhz)
    I've had similar crashing/stuttering issues mentioned.

I disabled the Windows Game Mode/Bar/DVR, and it cleared up a lot of the stuttering/slow loading, but it didn't fix crashes (as also noted here).

Then I remembered I also had some NVidia hardware settings enabled by default (FXAA and MFAA in particular) So I went to my NVidia Control Panel and disabled those features for Forza 7. Since then (been playing for about 2 hours) I haven't had any crashes to Windows. Did have it get stuck at a loading screen once so far though. (happened before)

my basic specs:

Windows 10 64-bit (upgrade from 7 x64)
    AMD FX 8150 8-core
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
    16gb DDR3 (2133 mhz)

Posted 10/07/2017 06:17 PM   
    I did the above but it didn’t make any difference, still freezes during games.
    I did the above but it didn’t make any difference, still freezes during games.

Posted 10/08/2017 11:58 PM   
    [quote="Rami Josef"]I did the above but it didn’t make any difference, still freezes during games.[/quote] Yeah, when I played today, I had it crash again once. This is quite frustrating...
    Rami Josef said:I did the above but it didn’t make any difference, still freezes during games.

Yeah, when I played today, I had it crash again once.

This is quite frustrating...

Posted 10/09/2017 02:51 AM   
    . Sounds like its a crappy PORT from GameConsole to PC. It may be programmed for AMD chips. .

Sounds like its a crappy PORT from GameConsole to PC. It may be programmed for AMD chips.

Posted 10/09/2017 03:14 AM   
    Actually, now I wonder if it's just fussy about certain 3rd-party apps that may be trying to communicate with it. I have a Razer Tartarus hooked up to my PC (though I'm playing F7 with an Xbox controller) so naturally, I usually have Razer Synapse running in the BG. It's had some issues syncing lately tho (I'm planning to reinstall it) so I've occasionally closed it. Yesterday when I tested the game and didn't suffer crashes, I had closed Synapse. For the heck of it, I just closed Synapse again and now the stuttering is once again gone. Can't tell yet if this is preventing crashes, but it hasn't crashed yet. (Though when I crashed again a little while ago, it was stuttering) I even re-enabled Game Mode (tho just that and not the Game Bar) for the heck of it. Thoughts?
    Actually, now I wonder if it's just fussy about certain 3rd-party apps that may be trying to communicate with it. I have a Razer Tartarus hooked up to my PC (though I'm playing F7 with an Xbox controller) so naturally, I usually have Razer Synapse running in the BG. It's had some issues syncing lately tho (I'm planning to reinstall it) so I've occasionally closed it.

Yesterday when I tested the game and didn't suffer crashes, I had closed Synapse. For the heck of it, I just closed Synapse again and now the stuttering is once again gone. Can't tell yet if this is preventing crashes, but it hasn't crashed yet. (Though when I crashed again a little while ago, it was stuttering)

I even re-enabled Game Mode (tho just that and not the Game Bar) for the heck of it.

Thoughts?

Posted 10/09/2017 03:35 AM   
    Out of curiosity (just to eliminate some further possibilities) is everyone here suffering issues running multi-display setups like me, or is anyone using a single display [and also encountering issues]? I've had some [driving] games crash in the past while I was running two displays and disabling the second display fixed it. (Stupid, I know) ON a side note, I know I'm asking a lot of questions for possible contingencies here on this forum, but that's mainly because I haven't even found another forum where this particular issue is even being discussed. It'd be embarrassingly shortsighted of Microsoft if the issue was really our NVidia GPUs; I sincerely doubt they'd neglect over half the PC gaming community like that (though it wouldn't be the first time PC gamers got screwed by a console port, but this is MS we're talking about -- as in Windows.)
    Out of curiosity (just to eliminate some further possibilities) is everyone here suffering issues running multi-display setups like me, or is anyone using a single display [and also encountering issues]?

I've had some [driving] games crash in the past while I was running two displays and disabling the second display fixed it. (Stupid, I know)

ON a side note, I know I'm asking a lot of questions for possible contingencies here on this forum, but that's mainly because I haven't even found another forum where this particular issue is even being discussed.

It'd be embarrassingly shortsighted of Microsoft if the issue was really our NVidia GPUs; I sincerely doubt they'd neglect over half the PC gaming community like that (though it wouldn't be the first time PC gamers got screwed by a console port, but this is MS we're talking about -- as in Windows.)

Posted 10/09/2017 03:52 AM   
    Update: none of the above fixes crashes. Have had major success fixing stutters though.
    Update: none of the above fixes crashes. Have had major success fixing stutters though.

Posted 10/09/2017 04:55 AM   
    Did anyone tried with latest 387.92 driver? Please make sure you are not running any GPU tweaking software (Ex: MSI Afterburner) in the background.
    Did anyone tried with latest 387.92 driver?

Please make sure you are not running any GPU tweaking software (Ex: MSI Afterburner) in the background.

Posted 10/09/2017 03:26 PM   
    [quote="gamese"]Did anyone tried with latest 387.92 driver? Please make sure you are not running any GPU tweaking software (Ex: MSI Afterburner) in the background.[/quote] I had installed it, but the Stuttering still. Also, the game get stuck loading the track. The best performance I can get is with the 385.69 version.
    gamese said:Did anyone tried with latest 387.92 driver?

Please make sure you are not running any GPU tweaking software (Ex: MSI Afterburner) in the background.

I had installed it, but the Stuttering still. Also, the game get stuck loading the track. The best performance I can get is with the 385.69 version.

Posted 10/09/2017 07:42 PM   
      1 / 2    
    Scroll To Top