Google Assistant enabled?
  1 / 3    
Not tested yet, but did we just get Google Assistant? http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/28/assistant-finally-come-shield-tv-looks-great/
Not tested yet, but did we just get Google Assistant?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/28/assistant-finally-come-shield-tv-looks-great/

NVIDIA Shield TV | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 | OSNN owner and administrator

Posted 09/28/2017 01:19 PM   
Starting today, SHIELD users in the U.S. can upgrade their TV experience with the Google Assistant. ---- Dammit, US only.
Starting today, SHIELD users in the U.S. can upgrade their TV experience with the Google Assistant.

----

Dammit, US only.

NVIDIA Shield TV | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 | OSNN owner and administrator

Posted 09/28/2017 01:22 PM   
US only is very disappointing. Any idea when it will be available for UK?
US only is very disappointing.

Any idea when it will be available for UK?

Posted 09/28/2017 01:35 PM   
You'll need to activate voice search in order for it to be set up. Just press the voice button on the remote/controller and you'll be prompted to activate Assistant.
You'll need to activate voice search in order for it to be set up. Just press the voice button on the remote/controller and you'll be prompted to activate Assistant.

Posted 09/28/2017 01:42 PM   
TBH I got Assistant on my Moto X 2014 Gen 2 which is still on Nougat and it is shit IMO, I preferred the older function now it hits me with a lot of crap when I use voice search. Added to I sue my Logitech Elite for Shield now which has no voice (not sure why it was left out as well as air mouse as both on cheaper £30 remotes).
TBH I got Assistant on my Moto X 2014 Gen 2 which is still on Nougat and it is shit IMO, I preferred the older function now it hits me with a lot of crap when I use voice search.

Added to I sue my Logitech Elite for Shield now which has no voice (not sure why it was left out as well as air mouse as both on cheaper £30 remotes).

Posted 09/28/2017 02:13 PM   
[url=http://shrani.si/?3u/uY/4aHYJnST/20170928162405.jpg][img]http://shrani.si/t/3u/uY/4aHYJnST/20170928162405.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://shrani.si/?37/o/4xYxRlA1/20170928162333.jpg][img]http://shrani.si/t/37/o/4xYxRlA1/20170928162333.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://shrani.si/?3R/dl/1BzfQoiq/20170928162424.jpg][img]http://shrani.si/t/3R/dl/1BzfQoiq/20170928162424.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://shrani.si/?1c/Yu/2egtE3dn/20170928162454.jpg][img]http://shrani.si/t/1c/Yu/2egtE3dn/20170928162454.jpg[/img][/url] In Europe now!
In Europe now!

Posted 09/28/2017 02:31 PM   
So is the Spot coming out or should we just pick up a Google Home Mini instead? They seem pretty much the same thing...
So is the Spot coming out or should we just pick up a Google Home Mini instead? They seem pretty much the same thing...

Posted 09/28/2017 02:38 PM   
[quote="Wagman"]So is the Spot coming out or should we just pick up a Google Home Mini instead? They seem pretty much the same thing...[/quote] I already have a Home (more than 1 actually; more than 1 Shield too... very "Android-y" in my house). Read a lot (like the Verge) about being able to throw content TOO a google home from a Shield now. Really hoping that that capability will now work in Reverse... particularly with Netflix. Would love to be able to call to my Shield (in the Living Room) from my Home (in the Kitchen) and pull up whatever content I want (specific Netflix shows, open any app, etc).
Wagman said:So is the Spot coming out or should we just pick up a Google Home Mini instead? They seem pretty much the same thing...

I already have a Home (more than 1 actually; more than 1 Shield too... very "Android-y" in my house).

Read a lot (like the Verge) about being able to throw content TOO a google home from a Shield now. Really hoping that that capability will now work in Reverse... particularly with Netflix. Would love to be able to call to my Shield (in the Living Room) from my Home (in the Kitchen) and pull up whatever content I want (specific Netflix shows, open any app, etc).

Posted 09/28/2017 03:36 PM   
[quote="Wagman"]So is the Spot coming out or should we just pick up a Google Home Mini instead? They seem pretty much the same thing...[/quote] No the Mini and the Spot are not the same thing. The Mini is a complete Google Assistant device, the Spot is just a microphone/speaker that lets you control Google Assistant on the Shield. [quote="psuKinger"][quote="Wagman"]So is the Spot coming out or should we just pick up a Google Home Mini instead? They seem pretty much the same thing...[/quote] I already have a Home (more than 1 actually; more than 1 Shield too... very "Android-y" in my house). Read a lot (like the Verge) about being able to throw content TOO a google home from a Shield now. Really hoping that that capability will now work in Reverse... particularly with Netflix. Would love to be able to call to my Shield (in the Living Room) from my Home (in the Kitchen) and pull up whatever content I want (specific Netflix shows, open any app, etc).[/quote] Anywhere you have a Spot you can control Google Assistant on the Shield. You can use multiple Spots throughout your house.
Wagman said:So is the Spot coming out or should we just pick up a Google Home Mini instead? They seem pretty much the same thing...

No the Mini and the Spot are not the same thing. The Mini is a complete Google Assistant device, the Spot is just a microphone/speaker that lets you control Google Assistant on the Shield.

psuKinger said:

I already have a Home (more than 1 actually; more than 1 Shield too... very "Android-y" in my house).

Read a lot (like the Verge) about being able to throw content TOO a google home from a Shield now. Really hoping that that capability will now work in Reverse... particularly with Netflix. Would love to be able to call to my Shield (in the Living Room) from my Home (in the Kitchen) and pull up whatever content I want (specific Netflix shows, open any app, etc).

Anywhere you have a Spot you can control Google Assistant on the Shield. You can use multiple Spots throughout your house.

Posted 09/28/2017 03:50 PM   
[quote="Tinwarble"] Anywhere you have a Spot you can control Google Assistant on the Shield. You can use multiple Spots throughout your house.[/quote] Can I control the Shield from the Google Assistant on my phone, tablet, or Home, too? Or *just* the spot (future?) and Shield accessories? At the very least, voice-cast support from Home to Shield for Netflix (in addition to Youtube) would be welcome...
Tinwarble said:

Anywhere you have a Spot you can control Google Assistant on the Shield. You can use multiple Spots throughout your house.

Can I control the Shield from the Google Assistant on my phone, tablet, or Home, too? Or *just* the spot (future?) and Shield accessories?

At the very least, voice-cast support from Home to Shield for Netflix (in addition to Youtube) would be welcome...

Posted 09/28/2017 04:03 PM   
Is it not possible to linke Harmony or Spotify accounts? I can't figure out how to do it if it is...
Is it not possible to linke Harmony or Spotify accounts?

I can't figure out how to do it if it is...

Posted 09/28/2017 04:24 PM   
I do not fully understand google assistant. I have it on my phone, but ill be damned if I know what it does.
I do not fully understand google assistant. I have it on my phone, but ill be damned if I know what it does.

Posted 09/28/2017 04:51 PM   
[quote]Anywhere you have a Spot you can control Google Assistant on the Shield. You can use multiple Spots throughout your house.[/quote] You can use multiple Home Mini's in your house and they will each be stand alone and fully functional. The only selling point for the spot might be any specific telemetry elements that Nvidia plans to implement. My question is if you get a spot how does it communicate with your shield, via an app through cloud or what? Do you have to tell the spot something like 'Ok Google, tell nvidia shield to blah blah blah...' as compared to using the spot on the shield assumes your talking to shield so you just say 'Ok Google, blah blah blah...' Anyone know how this is implemented?

You can use multiple Home Mini's in your house and they will each be stand alone and fully functional. The only selling point for the spot might be any specific telemetry elements that Nvidia plans to implement. My question is if you get a spot how does it communicate with your shield, via an app through cloud or what? Do you have to tell the spot something like 'Ok Google, tell nvidia shield to blah blah blah...' as compared to using the spot on the shield assumes your talking to shield so you just say 'Ok Google, blah blah blah...'

Anyone know how this is implemented?

Posted 09/28/2017 05:09 PM   
[quote="cato"]I do not fully understand google assistant. I have it on my phone, but ill be damned if I know what it does.[/quote] It allows you to talk to your Shield. You can launch apps, play videos or music or get information. You can do something like say "Ok Google, open Netflix and play The Defenders". If you have the new controller (or get a Spot when released) you don't even need to push any buttons, just talk. You can also do things like say "Pause, Play" and it will pause/play videos/music.
cato said:I do not fully understand google assistant. I have it on my phone, but ill be damned if I know what it does.

It allows you to talk to your Shield.

You can launch apps, play videos or music or get information. You can do something like say "Ok Google, open Netflix and play The Defenders". If you have the new controller (or get a Spot when released) you don't even need to push any buttons, just talk.

You can also do things like say "Pause, Play" and it will pause/play videos/music.

Posted 09/28/2017 05:11 PM   
[quote="kirkyg"][quote]Anywhere you have a Spot you can control Google Assistant on the Shield. You can use multiple Spots throughout your house.[/quote] You can use multiple Home Mini's in your house and they will each be stand alone and fully functional. The only selling point for the spot might be any specific telemetry elements that Nvidia plans to implement. My question is if you get a spot how does it communicate with your shield, via an app through cloud or what? Do you have to tell the spot something like 'Ok Google, tell nvidia shield to blah blah blah...' as compared to using the spot on the shield assumes your talking to shield so you just say 'Ok Google, blah blah blah...' Anyone know how this is implemented?[/quote] Yes, but the Spot uses GA on the Shield as where the Mini use GA built in. That's the difference. If you have multiple Minis in your home then you also have multiple instances of GA running, each Mini having it's own GA running. Whereas with the Spot you only have one instance (per Shield) running since the Spot is just a mic/speaker. As far as I know the Spot uses bluetooth or wifi to connect to the Shield, it's not cloud based. It's basically just a peripheral not a stand-along device. Yes, you'll just need to say "Ok Google" as it's just a peripheral.
kirkyg said:

You can use multiple Home Mini's in your house and they will each be stand alone and fully functional. The only selling point for the spot might be any specific telemetry elements that Nvidia plans to implement. My question is if you get a spot how does it communicate with your shield, via an app through cloud or what? Do you have to tell the spot something like 'Ok Google, tell nvidia shield to blah blah blah...' as compared to using the spot on the shield assumes your talking to shield so you just say 'Ok Google, blah blah blah...'

Anyone know how this is implemented?

Yes, but the Spot uses GA on the Shield as where the Mini use GA built in. That's the difference. If you have multiple Minis in your home then you also have multiple instances of GA running, each Mini having it's own GA running. Whereas with the Spot you only have one instance (per Shield) running since the Spot is just a mic/speaker.

As far as I know the Spot uses bluetooth or wifi to connect to the Shield, it's not cloud based. It's basically just a peripheral not a stand-along device.

Yes, you'll just need to say "Ok Google" as it's just a peripheral.

Posted 09/28/2017 05:19 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top