What's new/going on with Shield?
  1 / 2    
Let me preface this by saying I own five Shield ATV boxes (four 2015's and one 2017), an active GeForce Now subscription, and a Win10 Desktop with a GTX 1060 GPU inside, running Gamestream and Steam. I'm a really big fan of NVidia's. But *man*, is it my imagination, or has there not been a lot of chatter/news/announcements/releases since CES and the subsequent 2017 version of the Shield hit? Has there been something that I just missed, and can't subsequently find with the Google Machine? Anything on: 1) Youtube HDR support? 2) Google Assistant? 3) Samsung SmartThings HUB? 4) Netflix support for voice casting from Google Assistant / Google Home to Shield? 5) Dolby Vision? 6) New Hardware (Spot? Tablet? Other?) If they built it, I'd look long at hard at probably buying it...
Let me preface this by saying I own five Shield ATV boxes (four 2015's and one 2017), an active GeForce Now subscription, and a Win10 Desktop with a GTX 1060 GPU inside, running Gamestream and Steam. I'm a really big fan of NVidia's.

But *man*, is it my imagination, or has there not been a lot of chatter/news/announcements/releases since CES and the subsequent 2017 version of the Shield hit? Has there been something that I just missed, and can't subsequently find with the Google Machine?

Anything on:
1) Youtube HDR support?
2) Google Assistant?
3) Samsung SmartThings HUB?
4) Netflix support for voice casting from Google Assistant / Google Home to Shield?
5) Dolby Vision?
6) New Hardware (Spot? Tablet? Other?)

If they built it, I'd look long at hard at probably buying it...

Posted 09/26/2017 09:28 PM   
With nothing in the preview pipeline and the Nvidia staff having been AWOL for weeks, I agree that things are suspiciously quiet. That being said, you need to realize that while generally praised by the critics, the whole Shield line of products has been nothing but a bottomless money pit for Nvidia. Not sure how much more money they are willing to put into something that is basically EOL. Having some of your existing software engineers merge the latest version of Android is one thing.. Writing a big fat check to licence Dolby Vision on a product you've already been selling for 3 years, on the other hand, make much less sense commercially. Now, about 1) Youtube HDR: It's entirely up to Nvidia to support VPN9.2. It's a codec free of royalties and the GPU inside the Shield is fully programmable; they just need to make it happen. I think that's fully plausible. 2) As it's been discussed a million times already, this is up to Google. Nvidia has no say in this. My bet is they will launch a new Pixel TV on Oct.5th with Assistant built-in, then will push the update to all Android TVs running 6.x before Christmas. 3) Didnt know it was a thing. 4) This is up to Netflix and Google. I kinda doubt they care. Dont hold your breath. 5) At this point in the SATV lifespan, I dont think it's going to happen. If it was about to, they would've waited a bit to release the new controller-less packaging. To make a bigger splash. 6) I still expect the Spot to come about at the same time as Assistant. - Pretty sure there wont be another Tablet. At best, it wasnt profitable enough, and worst case scenario, they probably have an anti-competition agreement with Nintendo. - What I could see happen is a new Shield TV sometime mid next year. CES would be too soon, though; otherwise they wouldnt have bothered with a new controller-less SKU.
With nothing in the preview pipeline and the Nvidia staff having been AWOL for weeks, I agree that things are suspiciously quiet.

That being said, you need to realize that while generally praised by the critics, the whole Shield line of products has been nothing but a bottomless money pit for Nvidia. Not sure how much more money they are willing to put into something that is basically EOL.

Having some of your existing software engineers merge the latest version of Android is one thing..

Writing a big fat check to licence Dolby Vision on a product you've already been selling for 3 years, on the other hand, make much less sense commercially.

Now, about

1) Youtube HDR: It's entirely up to Nvidia to support VPN9.2. It's a codec free of royalties and the GPU inside the Shield is fully programmable; they just need to make it happen. I think that's fully plausible.

2) As it's been discussed a million times already, this is up to Google. Nvidia has no say in this. My bet is they will launch a new Pixel TV on Oct.5th with Assistant built-in, then will push the update to all Android TVs running 6.x before Christmas.

3) Didnt know it was a thing.

4) This is up to Netflix and Google. I kinda doubt they care. Dont hold your breath.

5) At this point in the SATV lifespan, I dont think it's going to happen. If it was about to, they would've waited a bit to release the new controller-less packaging. To make a bigger splash.

6) I still expect the Spot to come about at the same time as Assistant.

- Pretty sure there wont be another Tablet.
At best, it wasnt profitable enough, and worst case scenario, they probably have an anti-competition agreement with Nintendo.

- What I could see happen is a new Shield TV sometime mid next year.
CES would be too soon, though; otherwise they wouldnt have bothered with a new controller-less SKU.

Posted 09/26/2017 10:34 PM   
I think what is the un-leveraged market that Nvidia either couldn't capitalise on or didn't, is selling "NVidia Shield TV" to TV Manufacturers. EG: Sony TV with NVidia Shield inside, being able to have 4k HDR, blah blah natively supported would have been awesome. But unfortunately NVidia Shield is not a global product (i'm in Australia, and had to buy my Shield from Amazon during a USA trip), while for my streaming media it works awesome - I can't do GeForce game streaming for whatever reason. Having NVidia Shield embedded and upgradable in TV's would have sold hundreds of thousands of units. As long as the capability wasn't changed, and perhaps just a vendor skin added, it would have been able to turn a money pit into a revenue source.
I think what is the un-leveraged market that Nvidia either couldn't capitalise on or didn't, is selling "NVidia Shield TV" to TV Manufacturers.

EG: Sony TV with NVidia Shield inside, being able to have 4k HDR, blah blah natively supported would have been awesome. But unfortunately NVidia Shield is not a global product (i'm in Australia, and had to buy my Shield from Amazon during a USA trip), while for my streaming media it works awesome - I can't do GeForce game streaming for whatever reason.

Having NVidia Shield embedded and upgradable in TV's would have sold hundreds of thousands of units. As long as the capability wasn't changed, and perhaps just a vendor skin added, it would have been able to turn a money pit into a revenue source.

Posted 09/26/2017 11:27 PM   
I imagine like most Android vendors right now they are super busy with Oreo stuff!
I imagine like most Android vendors right now they are super busy with Oreo stuff!

NVIDIA Shield TV | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 | OSNN owner and administrator

Posted 09/27/2017 08:10 AM   
[quote="ElectronicPunk"]I imagine like most Android vendors right now they are super busy with Oreo stuff![/quote] I imagine they're not ;)
ElectronicPunk said:I imagine like most Android vendors right now they are super busy with Oreo stuff!

I imagine they're not ;)

Posted 09/27/2017 10:30 AM   
Nvidia Android hardware, I thought, has always been about selling their chips. The X1 is now in the Nintendo Switch, so mission accomplished. They are also dabbling with the Gforce Now stuff, hoping for the cloud future. But again, Are they looking to be THE company that offers the services, or are they using Gforce now to show eveyone what to do, in order to sell chips. On that end, I REALLY expected the Switch to have a cloud streaming component. This was going to get around the hardware limits. I was wrong, unless something is coming.
Nvidia Android hardware, I thought, has always been about selling their chips. The X1 is now in the Nintendo Switch, so mission accomplished.

They are also dabbling with the Gforce Now stuff, hoping for the cloud future. But again, Are they looking to be THE company that offers the services, or are they using Gforce now to show eveyone what to do, in order to sell chips.

On that end, I REALLY expected the Switch to have a cloud streaming component. This was going to get around the hardware limits. I was wrong, unless something is coming.

Posted 09/27/2017 04:49 PM   
I'm guessing that they tied their smartthings code to their assistant code and are waiting on google for both. Sure they could uncouple the two as they aren't really tied to each other, but that's more headache than its worth to get smart things support a little sooner. As is Nvidia's style you won't hear anything accurate until it's actually released. If you do hear something early, like at a tradeshow, it probably isn't accurate, so you should just ignore.
I'm guessing that they tied their smartthings code to their assistant code and are waiting on google for both. Sure they could uncouple the two as they aren't really tied to each other, but that's more headache than its worth to get smart things support a little sooner.

As is Nvidia's style you won't hear anything accurate until it's actually released. If you do hear something early, like at a tradeshow, it probably isn't accurate, so you should just ignore.

Posted 09/27/2017 07:18 PM   
Shield twitter claiming something big coming tomorrow (sort of)... Any guesses!?
Shield twitter claiming something big coming tomorrow (sort of)... Any guesses!?

Posted 09/28/2017 06:48 AM   
Let me guess... nvidia shield TV 2018... with the hardware of nvidia shield TV 2017 .. nope nvidia shield TV 2015. :-) I'm happy for Nvidia regarding the switch.. sounds it's working good for them (even if the switch is a nice portable console... this machine is sadly ugly on a nice 4K tv set. The chip is running a lower frequency ... but it's Nintendo's fault here.) Awfully quiet for the nivdia shield TV... really :-( .... I still have some "issues" with my TV set controller which, well... "sleep" sometimes too much and don't react in a second. Can Nvidia fix this (Firmware 1.1 here....) ? But the nvidia shield TV is really good little machine ! multimedia, video games , retro games... I can't do this on my Smart phone !
Let me guess...
nvidia shield TV 2018... with the hardware of nvidia shield TV 2017 .. nope nvidia shield TV 2015.
:-)

I'm happy for Nvidia regarding the switch.. sounds it's working good for them (even if the switch is a nice portable console... this machine is sadly ugly on a nice 4K tv set. The chip is running a lower frequency ... but it's Nintendo's fault here.)

Awfully quiet for the nivdia shield TV... really :-( .... I still have some "issues" with my TV set controller which, well... "sleep" sometimes too much and don't react in a second. Can Nvidia fix this (Firmware 1.1 here....) ?

But the nvidia shield TV is really good little machine ! multimedia, video games , retro games... I can't do this on my Smart phone !

Posted 09/28/2017 08:54 AM   
und just when you started complaining they releases 6.0 ;-)
und just when you started complaining they releases 6.0 ;-)

Posted 09/28/2017 01:51 PM   
[quote="liquid-ICE"]und just when you started complaining they releases 6.0 ;-) [/quote] Absolutely! I can't tell you how excited I am to get back home and start playing with the new features...
liquid-ICE said:und just when you started complaining they releases 6.0 ;-)

Absolutely!

I can't tell you how excited I am to get back home and start playing with the new features...

Posted 09/28/2017 03:38 PM   
"Samsung SmartThings HUB" I think you can forget anything from Samsung on any non Samsung Hardware. They would put this system on their TV's or something before any random media box.
"Samsung SmartThings HUB"

I think you can forget anything from Samsung on any non Samsung Hardware.
They would put this system on their TV's or something before any random media box.
Posted 09/28/2017 05:42 PM   
[quote="Ventilator"]"Samsung SmartThings HUB" I think you can forget anything from Samsung on any non Samsung Hardware. They would put this system on their TV's or something before any random media box.[/quote] You should look before you leap. [img]https://i.imgur.com/7qg8W47.jpg[/img] https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/smart-home/
Ventilator said:"Samsung SmartThings HUB"

I think you can forget anything from Samsung on any non Samsung Hardware.
They would put this system on their TV's or something before any random media box.

You should look before you leap.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/smart-home/

Posted 09/28/2017 05:45 PM   
Can Pre-Order on Amazon now: https://www.amazon.com/SmartThings-Link-for-NVIDIA-SHIELD/dp/B071GSVP6Z

Posted 09/28/2017 06:27 PM   
[quote="h3ym03"]Can Pre-Order on Amazon now: https://www.amazon.com/SmartThings-Link-for-NVIDIA-SHIELD/dp/B071GSVP6Z[/quote] Yep, but you won't get the promo price.
h3ym03 said:Can Pre-Order on Amazon now:

https://www.amazon.com/SmartThings-Link-for-NVIDIA-SHIELD/dp/B071GSVP6Z

Yep, but you won't get the promo price.

Posted 09/28/2017 06:31 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top