GTX 950M consistent (micro)stuttering on a lot of things
GTX 950M card is having stuttering issues with a lot of different programs and media most of which aren't very intensive (videos, old emulated games). It seems like every couple of seconds there will be either a very subtle hang or a similarly brief slowdown rarely ever lasting longer than a second. That said, it is extremely consistent. I have no stuttering issues whatsoever with my integrated graphics, just a lot screen tearing that I can't really be bothered to deal with right now. But yeah, it's only on the dedicated card. To remedy the problem i have tried everything I can think of: updating Windows to the Creators Update, rolling back said update, updating graphics drivers (and DDU-ing old drivers), rolling back said graphics drivers, playing with every single option in Nvidia Control Panel, command prompting "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick", ticking on and off hardware acceleration in programs, disabling sound and wifi drivers... I can't figure it out, it's really bugging me. Here are my specs: Asus K501UX Windows 10 64bit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M Intel HD Graphics 520 Intel Core i5 6200U (2.30 GHz) 8 GB Memory DDR3L 1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD (am i missing anything?)
GTX 950M card is having stuttering issues with a lot of different programs and media most of which aren't very intensive (videos, old emulated games). It seems like every couple of seconds there will be either a very subtle hang or a similarly brief slowdown rarely ever lasting longer than a second. That said, it is extremely consistent.

I have no stuttering issues whatsoever with my integrated graphics, just a lot screen tearing that I can't really be bothered to deal with right now. But yeah, it's only on the dedicated card.

To remedy the problem i have tried everything I can think of: updating Windows to the Creators Update, rolling back said update, updating graphics drivers (and DDU-ing old drivers), rolling back said graphics drivers, playing with every single option in Nvidia Control Panel, command prompting "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick", ticking on and off hardware acceleration in programs, disabling sound and wifi drivers...

I can't figure it out, it's really bugging me.

Here are my specs:

Asus K501UX
Windows 10 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
Intel HD Graphics 520
Intel Core i5 6200U (2.30 GHz)
8 GB Memory DDR3L
1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD
(am i missing anything?)

Posted 08/09/2017 06:05 AM   
Also I don't think it is cpu problem because I was playing a game with the task manager out and there doesn't seem to be a clear connection between cpu use and stutters.
Also I don't think it is cpu problem because I was playing a game with the task manager out and there doesn't seem to be a clear connection between cpu use and stutters.

Posted 08/09/2017 05:23 PM   
Please, any advice would be much appreciated.
Please, any advice would be much appreciated.

Posted 08/10/2017 10:55 PM   
Hey, run a diagnostic test on your RAM and HDD, although I doubt the problem lies there.
Hey,

run a diagnostic test on your RAM and HDD, although I doubt the problem lies there.

Disable full-screen optimisations, thank me later.

Posted 08/23/2017 07:48 AM   
Thank you for responding. So I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, walked away from the computer, came back and it was finished and not much had changed. So assuming I ran the right test, I guess it's not that. Also, I thought I'd add that I tried using both of the original Asus recommended drivers and neither of those fixed the problem. The problem also persists in safe mode. As of right now I don't have any workarounds to the issue.
Thank you for responding. So I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, walked away from the computer, came back and it was finished and not much had changed. So assuming I ran the right test, I guess it's not that.

Also, I thought I'd add that I tried using both of the original Asus recommended drivers and neither of those fixed the problem. The problem also persists in safe mode. As of right now I don't have any workarounds to the issue.

Posted 08/24/2017 03:35 AM   
So i did a clean refresh of Windows 10... and nothing has changed. *Sigh* This really sucks. I'm off to go reinstall everything. Maybe I'll give Creator's Update another try later...
So i did a clean refresh of Windows 10... and nothing has changed. *Sigh* This really sucks. I'm off to go reinstall everything. Maybe I'll give Creator's Update another try later...

Posted 09/04/2017 01:43 AM   
So I think I found a workaround for my problem. I guess I don't have adaptive vsync (Optimus laptop) and so anytime vsync is enabled, horrible stuttering occurs. So my solution was to force vsync off in the control panel, NOT enable "use 3D application setting", but force it off completely. It seems to work really well for video content. I also tested a few ps1 games out on mednafen and it seems to run pretty smooth if you can ignore horrible screen tearing. So yeah, so I learned that my system really hates vsync I guess? I'll report back in a week if there's any problems. Hopefully this might help someone who is also struggling with the issue.
So I think I found a workaround for my problem. I guess I don't have adaptive vsync (Optimus laptop) and so anytime vsync is enabled, horrible stuttering occurs. So my solution was to force vsync off in the control panel, NOT enable "use 3D application setting", but force it off completely. It seems to work really well for video content. I also tested a few ps1 games out on mednafen and it seems to run pretty smooth if you can ignore horrible screen tearing.

So yeah, so I learned that my system really hates vsync I guess? I'll report back in a week if there's any problems. Hopefully this might help someone who is also struggling with the issue.

Posted 09/05/2017 05:06 AM   
Ughhhhh... It's not fixed, not for games and not for videos. Also in videos it's doing this thing where the screen freezes for a sec and it skips a bunch of frames. That didn't start until I reset Windows. Ughhhhhh..... Ughhh... Ugh. I give up. Technology=1 Me=0. edit: Hardware acceleration causes that problem. Unfortunately turning that off makes the stuttering much, much worse.
Ughhhhh... It's not fixed, not for games and not for videos. Also in videos it's doing this thing where the screen freezes for a sec and it skips a bunch of frames. That didn't start until I reset Windows. Ughhhhhh..... Ughhh... Ugh.

I give up.

Technology=1 Me=0.

edit: Hardware acceleration causes that problem. Unfortunately turning that off makes the stuttering much, much worse.

Posted 09/07/2017 01:51 AM   
No i take that back. It's really bad and I'm gonna have to figure this out even if takes forever.
No i take that back. It's really bad and I'm gonna have to figure this out even if takes forever.

Posted 09/07/2017 03:43 AM   
Hi. Could you solve the problem? I have that problem with my ASUS Rog GL552JX notebook. i7, 8 GB ram, iris 5200 + GTX950M When I watch any movies with a TV + HDMI, sometimes there is a black screen for about a half second, with no sound.
Hi. Could you solve the problem? I have that problem with my ASUS Rog GL552JX notebook. i7, 8 GB ram, iris 5200 + GTX950M
When I watch any movies with a TV + HDMI, sometimes there is a black screen for about a half second, with no sound.

Posted 12/02/2017 10:55 PM   
[quote="kisbarbar"]Hi. Could you solve the problem? I have that problem with my ASUS Rog GL552JX notebook. i7, 8 GB ram, iris 5200 + GTX950M When I watch any movies with a TV + HDMI, sometimes there is a black screen for about a half second, with no sound. [/quote] start your own thread
kisbarbar said:Hi. Could you solve the problem? I have that problem with my ASUS Rog GL552JX notebook. i7, 8 GB ram, iris 5200 + GTX950M
When I watch any movies with a TV + HDMI, sometimes there is a black screen for about a half second, with no sound.

start your own thread

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/03/2017 12:54 AM   
Scroll To Top