GTX 970 card on a Mac Pro 3,1 and issues I am seeing...
Love the card when it works which is most of the time. 1. Right after I plugged in the Display Port for my new View Sonic monitor, Bluetooth quit working, I had a mouse that no longer works as Bluetooth will start up, tries too, but crashes and never pairs with anything. 2. If Apple wants to do an O/S patch, it clobbers the Nvidia drivers sending you into a scramble to find the correct web drivers.. The Cuda drivers, not so much a problem.. Any ideas? Especially on the Bluetooth?
Love the card when it works which is most of the time.

1. Right after I plugged in the Display Port for my new View Sonic monitor, Bluetooth quit working, I had a mouse that no longer works as Bluetooth will start up, tries too, but crashes and never pairs with anything.

2. If Apple wants to do an O/S patch, it clobbers the Nvidia drivers sending you into a scramble to find the correct web drivers.. The Cuda drivers, not so much a problem..

Any ideas? Especially on the Bluetooth?

Posted 07/20/2017 03:11 PM   
1) The ViewSonic or 970 is causing radio interference? Try moving the computer or mouse away from the monitor? Use a different DisplayPort cable? Use a different DisplayPort port on the graphics card? My bluetooth mouse works with my Mac Pro 3,1 up to 10 feet away or more. I don't have a ViewSonic, or 970 though. I have a 680 and several other monitors. 2) This is annoying. There are instructions on the web to get an older version of the web drivers to work with a newer OS but I haven't tried it and I don't know how safe it is. Usually I wait on minor OS version updates for the Nvidia drivers to be done before updating the OS. The computer usually can boot without web drivers (your 970 will use the boot frame buffer with no acceleration) which should be good enough to allow you to get to the System Preferences.app to update the driver.
1) The ViewSonic or 970 is causing radio interference? Try moving the computer or mouse away from the monitor? Use a different DisplayPort cable? Use a different DisplayPort port on the graphics card?

My bluetooth mouse works with my Mac Pro 3,1 up to 10 feet away or more. I don't have a ViewSonic, or 970 though. I have a 680 and several other monitors.

2) This is annoying. There are instructions on the web to get an older version of the web drivers to work with a newer OS but I haven't tried it and I don't know how safe it is. Usually I wait on minor OS version updates for the Nvidia drivers to be done before updating the OS. The computer usually can boot without web drivers (your 970 will use the boot frame buffer with no acceleration) which should be good enough to allow you to get to the System Preferences.app to update the driver.

Posted 08/15/2017 10:31 AM   
Scroll To Top