[GUIDE] Diagonal screen tearing? Problems with optimus? Nvidia's control panel not working like it s...
  1 / 2    
[center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]DISCLAIMER:[/color] [/size][/b][/center] I'm in no way responsible if you fuck up and mess your computer. One of the workarounds involves editing the bios of your computer. DO NOT ASK FOR SIMPLER INSTRUCTIONS. This guide has been written in such a way that you need to investigate how to do some things and anger you towards nvidia. Why? Because that way the probability of you destroying your pc and blaming me goes down, and the probaility of you opening a support ticket and bitching to nvidia (and thus we all getting a proper fix) goes up. [center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]Introduction:[/color] [/size][/b][/center] Do you experience diagonal screen tearing on some games? Sometimes when you open a game your framerate is terrible and you notice your laptop uses the intel chip instead of your dedicated card? Did you buy DOOM and can't get it to run properly (and/or get diagonal screen tearing)? Does your laptop constantly changes the card it's using? Do you have any kind of respect for yourself? If you answered yes to any of this... This guide is for you. Ready your belts and get that hand ready. You'll need it shortly to hit your face when you go "Holy shit, couldn't the "professional" technicians and "engineers" of nvidia that supposedly "work hard" come up with AT LEAST this work arounds in two years?" [size="M"][color="orange"]CONTACT NVIDIA'S SUPPORT[/color] [/size] Relax... I'll still tell you want to do... It's not like nvidia's support actually does some work. But you need to understand that this are palliatives and not fixes, and we need Nvidia to actually work... I MEAN!!!! care for the customers that already gave them money instead of only caring to get new customers... That was harsh too... Oh well... fuck em. The guy that will answer your ticket is an ignorant and poor fuck that only types pre written answers and gives you troubleshoot tips form a list; common fixes for most problems... Think "turn it off and on again". This is common on all big companies and help to ease the workload of actual professionals. Ths is why their answers seem "pasted" (they are). That way Phd John Doe, engineer on electronics can focus on developing your new card instead of telling you how to turn on your TV. However, when there's an issue like this that hasn't been well documented and nvidia hasn't bothered to investigate it themselves... Well... it just make the issue worse and let us with it for 2 years... So let me tell you how to beat the system!!!! (thank my teen years for my work in support) When support answers you... Start by following their instructions and evading anything that would take days or make the ticket close. For example, if they ask for a screenshot, send it (screenshots won't work in this case, take a photo with your phone. Info on this in the FAQ). But if they tell you that you should send the laptop to the manufacturer... Say that you already did that, that you are contacting them for your OTHER laptop that is another model ;). They tell you to format your pc? Won't do a thing in this case but mess with you, so waith 6 hours and tell them you did and the issue persists (I already did this for you with multiple laptops. trust me. The issue persisted) If after 3 messages you haven't received an email saying "Your issue has been escalated" DEMAND that it is. DO NOT ASK. You paid for that damn card, it's your right to get it working nicely. [u]Be polite[/u] but also be firm. Say "Please escalate this issue. It's clear that you can't help me and I demand this ticket to be escalated", if they refuse... Post it here. We will rise hell for you. Now... We are not doing this because nvidia will actually help... probably the new technician will be useless... But now at least he will inform the right people about this issue and we MIGHT get a fix. [size="M"][color="orange"]RUN THE GAME OR APP IN DX11[/color] [/size] The tearing occur only to games and apps that render using Dx9, opengl and vulkan APIs. Many games can be run in Dx11 mode via comand line argument. Google your game's name followed by "command line arguments". Most games and apps use the command [code]-d3d11[/code] and all unity games have the command [code]-force-d3d11[/code]. take into account that altough many games can be forced to use Dx11 to render, that doesn't mean they support it. Take for example Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny. Both games have the same engine (unity) and were programmed by obsidian. If you force Dx11 in PoE you've got yourself a fix. However if you try that with Tyranny, you've got a pink screen. (But at least a pink screen with no tearing) [size="M"][color="orange"]USE THE INTEL CHIP TO RENDER[/color] [/size] This bug is Nvidia's fault. Make no mistake. If you have a game with tearing but that doesn't run in 3d (like Battle Brothers) you can force the game to run using only the intel chip. You can do this on a couple of different ways: [list] [.]Use Nvidia control panel: This way sucks since it playing around with the issue itself (optimus). Open Nvidia Control panel and set up a parameter for your app or game. Force it to run with the intel (integrated) card instead of the nvidia GPU. THIS ISN'T ENOUGH SINCE NVIDIA FUCKED UP OPTIMUS WHICH IS ONE OF THE REASONS FOR THE TEARING. So go ahead and open up Intel's graphical configuration, click on "3d" and create yet another profile for the same game or app. That should do the trick. IF NOT or if you want to kill two birds with one stone, go ahead and in intel's profile tick "Use driver's configuration" that should make any change you make using Nvidia control panel work with that game/app. (another long standing bug is that if you try to force vsync or AA with the control panel, it wouldn't do anything)[/.] [.]Every time you want to use your game or app go to the directory where you installed it, right click the executable and click on "Execute with graphical processor - Integrated graphics"[/.] [/list] This will work with 3D games but will kill your framerate unless it's an old game. [size="M"][color="orange"]PRAY TO ME AND SEND NVIDIA OPTIMUS TO HELL (Remember to spit on it's grave) AND PREPARE TO MAKE A PACT WITH THE DEVIL[/color] [/size] Ok... Before you try this step you need to pray... Why? This could potentially fix the issue for ever (for you) but you may also not have this option at all and make things worse. You should contact your laptop's manufacturer and ask if your laptop model have the nvidia GPU connected directly to the screen or if the intel card is the one connected directly. This method will NOT work if it's the intel card the one connected directly to the screen. Is the nvidia GPU the one connected directly to the screen? Cool. Now we can proceed with the pact... The price? Your battery life... You see. We will FORCE optimus to not be used at all. This will get rid of almost all bugs, but also will make your laptop render everything with the nvidia card. That means your battery life will be VERY VERY VERY shorter. You ok with all this? Ok... This is delicate and that's why I won't give you detailed instructions... Yu should study and be sure about what you're doing: Open up your BIOS. We are looking for any settings like this: "Screen controller", "Quality and performance", "Optimus", "Main Video Card", "Default video card". You must choose quality, the nvidia card (it may be named "discrete graphics"), and off for optimus. You may have a couple of this options or just one of them. Reboot and enjoy... Maybe... If it's still not working you'll have to completely uninstall nvidia's drivers and then search for your desktop card equivalent and make a CLEAN install of the new drivers. THIS MAY NOT WORK. I haven't been able to reproduce this method everytime. So use it at your oown risk... High risks, high rewards I guess... FAQ: the faq is in the next post. This is damn wall of text already
DISCLAIMER:

I'm in no way responsible if you fuck up and mess your computer. One of the workarounds involves editing the bios of your computer.
DO NOT ASK FOR SIMPLER INSTRUCTIONS. This guide has been written in such a way that you need to investigate how to do some things and anger you towards nvidia. Why? Because that way the probability of you destroying your pc and blaming me goes down, and the probaility of you opening a support ticket and bitching to nvidia (and thus we all getting a proper fix) goes up.

Introduction:

Do you experience diagonal screen tearing on some games?
Sometimes when you open a game your framerate is terrible and you notice your laptop uses the intel chip instead of your dedicated card?
Did you buy DOOM and can't get it to run properly (and/or get diagonal screen tearing)?
Does your laptop constantly changes the card it's using?
Do you have any kind of respect for yourself?

If you answered yes to any of this... This guide is for you.

Ready your belts and get that hand ready. You'll need it shortly to hit your face when you go "Holy shit, couldn't the "professional" technicians and "engineers" of nvidia that supposedly "work hard" come up with AT LEAST this work arounds in two years?"

CONTACT NVIDIA'S SUPPORT

Relax... I'll still tell you want to do... It's not like nvidia's support actually does some work. But you need to understand that this are palliatives and not fixes, and we need Nvidia to actually work... I MEAN!!!! care for the customers that already gave them money instead of only caring to get new customers... That was harsh too... Oh well... fuck em.
The guy that will answer your ticket is an ignorant and poor fuck that only types pre written answers and gives you troubleshoot tips form a list; common fixes for most problems... Think "turn it off and on again". This is common on all big companies and help to ease the workload of actual professionals. Ths is why their answers seem "pasted" (they are). That way Phd John Doe, engineer on electronics can focus on developing your new card instead of telling you how to turn on your TV. However, when there's an issue like this that hasn't been well documented and nvidia hasn't bothered to investigate it themselves... Well... it just make the issue worse and let us with it for 2 years... So let me tell you how to beat the system!!!! (thank my teen years for my work in support)

When support answers you... Start by following their instructions and evading anything that would take days or make the ticket close.
For example, if they ask for a screenshot, send it (screenshots won't work in this case, take a photo with your phone. Info on this in the FAQ). But if they tell you that you should send the laptop to the manufacturer... Say that you already did that, that you are contacting them for your OTHER laptop that is another model ;).
They tell you to format your pc? Won't do a thing in this case but mess with you, so waith 6 hours and tell them you did and the issue persists (I already did this for you with multiple laptops. trust me. The issue persisted)
If after 3 messages you haven't received an email saying "Your issue has been escalated" DEMAND that it is. DO NOT ASK. You paid for that damn card, it's your right to get it working nicely. Be polite but also be firm. Say "Please escalate this issue. It's clear that you can't help me and I demand this ticket to be escalated", if they refuse... Post it here. We will rise hell for you.
Now... We are not doing this because nvidia will actually help... probably the new technician will be useless... But now at least he will inform the right people about this issue and we MIGHT get a fix.

RUN THE GAME OR APP IN DX11

The tearing occur only to games and apps that render using Dx9, opengl and vulkan APIs. Many games can be run in Dx11 mode via comand line argument. Google your game's name followed by "command line arguments". Most games and apps use the command
-d3d11

and all unity games have the command
-force-d3d11
. take into account that altough many games can be forced to use Dx11 to render, that doesn't mean they support it. Take for example Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny. Both games have the same engine (unity) and were programmed by obsidian. If you force Dx11 in PoE you've got yourself a fix. However if you try that with Tyranny, you've got a pink screen. (But at least a pink screen with no tearing)

USE THE INTEL CHIP TO RENDER

This bug is Nvidia's fault. Make no mistake. If you have a game with tearing but that doesn't run in 3d (like Battle Brothers) you can force the game to run using only the intel chip.
You can do this on a couple of different ways:
  • Use Nvidia control panel:
    This way sucks since it playing around with the issue itself (optimus). Open Nvidia Control panel and set up a parameter for your app or game. Force it to run with the intel (integrated) card instead of the nvidia GPU.
    THIS ISN'T ENOUGH SINCE NVIDIA FUCKED UP OPTIMUS WHICH IS ONE OF THE REASONS FOR THE TEARING. So go ahead and open up Intel's graphical configuration, click on "3d" and create yet another profile for the same game or app. That should do the trick. IF NOT or if you want to kill two birds with one stone, go ahead and in intel's profile tick "Use driver's configuration" that should make any change you make using Nvidia control panel work with that game/app. (another long standing bug is that if you try to force vsync or AA with the control panel, it wouldn't do anything)
  • Every time you want to use your game or app go to the directory where you installed it, right click the executable and click on "Execute with graphical processor - Integrated graphics"

This will work with 3D games but will kill your framerate unless it's an old game.

PRAY TO ME AND SEND NVIDIA OPTIMUS TO HELL (Remember to spit on it's grave) AND PREPARE TO MAKE A PACT WITH THE DEVIL

Ok... Before you try this step you need to pray... Why? This could potentially fix the issue for ever (for you) but you may also not have this option at all and make things worse. You should contact your laptop's manufacturer and ask if your laptop model have the nvidia GPU connected directly to the screen or if the intel card is the one connected directly. This method will NOT work if it's the intel card the one connected directly to the screen.

Is the nvidia GPU the one connected directly to the screen? Cool. Now we can proceed with the pact... The price? Your battery life...
You see. We will FORCE optimus to not be used at all. This will get rid of almost all bugs, but also will make your laptop render everything with the nvidia card. That means your battery life will be VERY VERY VERY shorter.

You ok with all this? Ok... This is delicate and that's why I won't give you detailed instructions... Yu should study and be sure about what you're doing:
Open up your BIOS. We are looking for any settings like this:
"Screen controller", "Quality and performance", "Optimus", "Main Video Card", "Default video card".
You must choose quality, the nvidia card (it may be named "discrete graphics"), and off for optimus. You may have a couple of this options or just one of them.
Reboot and enjoy... Maybe... If it's still not working you'll have to completely uninstall nvidia's drivers and then search for your desktop card equivalent and make a CLEAN install of the new drivers. THIS MAY NOT WORK. I haven't been able to reproduce this method everytime. So use it at your oown risk... High risks, high rewards I guess...

FAQ:
the faq is in the next post. This is damn wall of text already
[center][b][size="XL"][color="green"] Everyone knows this issue haves to do with vsync and you didn't mention it. You ignoramus.[/color] [/size][/b][/center] Not a question... But I'll explain. Most people can't tell the difference between adaptive vsync, half vsync, full vsync and limited fps with no vsync. I'm not most people, and if you work in digital entertainment like me (and like nvidia (allegedly)) you will notice that the tearing doesn't happen every frame. Turning vsync off or leting your framerate go up to the sky will just mask the issue. Don't believe me? Follow the steps I made testing that (take note nvidia. You test your shit. You shouldn't follow what your users say blindly. TEST YOUR SHIT): A: Open a 3D modeling program, create a sphere and add subdivision surface. Turn it all the way up so frame rate is killed. Move the camera and see how the tearing won't happen every frame. I used blender and a sphere. B: Use a modern but low end card (I have a 1050 2Gb, so I used that) and open a game that is very demanding (use ultra quality). I tested it with Witcher 3 and Torment: Tides of numenera. You'll notice the same as the last method. [center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]Well then... Why didn't you mention fullscreen? I know for a fact that the issue is related to the fullscreen method used[/color] [/size][/b][/center] I always use exclusive fullscreen and if a game doesn't support it, I use things like 3Dmigoto or gedosato to force it. The tearing still happens. You can... wait for it... TEST IT YOURSELF. [center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]So what's causing the issue?[/color] [/size][/b][/center] Well... I can't be sure but after a lot of testing with multiple laptops, apps and configurations I think I can make a pretty good educated guess... There are actually 2 problems and both come from nvidia's drivers. You see; most laptops that use an nvidia gpu have hybrid graphic cards, that means that instead of having a card inside your laptop taking care of what you see on the screen, it's actually only the intel chip, what happens is that the nvidia gpu acts like a second processor; rendering frames and sending them to the intel chip. This is pretty cool and is only possible thanks to nvidia's optimus technology. Thanks to optimus you can have longer battery life!!!! but somewhere along the line nvidia fucked up optimus... The other issue is there's a problem in how nvidia's drivers manage dx9, opengl and vulkan. What exactly? I have no clue. I would need to look at the driver's code and even then might have no idea. [center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]Why hasn't this been fixed after 2 years and 2 card architectures?[/color] [/size][/b][/center] No one want to solve it. Fixing it means they must invest time and money. And since no high profile recent games has been affected... They don't give a fuck, they just throw the blame to each other. (microsoft, intel and nvidia)(It's nvidia's fault btw) [center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]Why are you so sure they haven't tested the issue?[/color] [/size][/b][/center] For 2 reasons: If they had, they would have noticed that it doesn't happen if you use a different rendering API than Dx9, and would have noticed that it doesn't happen every frame and isn't related to vsync. Instead they just repeat what other users have said and repeat "We are aware of the issue and are working on it". They are aware alright... But they certainly aren't working on it. [center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]Well.. If it's a driver issue and nvidia's fault, then there must have been a driver that introduced it. Which version is it?[/color] [/size][/b][/center] You're totally right! APPARENTLY most of the issues were introduced after driver version 350.12. Many other issues disappear completely using 347.88. I HAVEN'T TESTED THAT MYSELF. They are too damn old and the person that reported that used windows 8.1 and 10 without telling which driver accompanied which OS. If by chance you still have access to both OS and driver versions please test away! it's clear at this point we have to do nvidia's work. HOWEVER most people had success when rolling back to 350.12, so I would test that one first. [center][b][size="XL"][color="green"]Why are you so angry?[/color] [/size][/b][/center] I'm not. Fuck you.

Everyone knows this issue haves to do with vsync and you didn't mention it. You ignoramus.

Not a question... But I'll explain. Most people can't tell the difference between adaptive vsync, half vsync, full vsync and limited fps with no vsync. I'm not most people, and if you work in digital entertainment like me (and like nvidia (allegedly)) you will notice that the tearing doesn't happen every frame. Turning vsync off or leting your framerate go up to the sky will just mask the issue. Don't believe me? Follow the steps I made testing that (take note nvidia. You test your shit. You shouldn't follow what your users say blindly. TEST YOUR SHIT):
A: Open a 3D modeling program, create a sphere and add subdivision surface. Turn it all the way up so frame rate is killed. Move the camera and see how the tearing won't happen every frame. I used blender and a sphere.
B: Use a modern but low end card (I have a 1050 2Gb, so I used that) and open a game that is very demanding (use ultra quality). I tested it with Witcher 3 and Torment: Tides of numenera. You'll notice the same as the last method.

Well then... Why didn't you mention fullscreen? I know for a fact that the issue is related to the fullscreen method used

I always use exclusive fullscreen and if a game doesn't support it, I use things like 3Dmigoto or gedosato to force it. The tearing still happens. You can... wait for it... TEST IT YOURSELF.

So what's causing the issue?

Well... I can't be sure but after a lot of testing with multiple laptops, apps and configurations I think I can make a pretty good educated guess... There are actually 2 problems and both come from nvidia's drivers.
You see; most laptops that use an nvidia gpu have hybrid graphic cards, that means that instead of having a card inside your laptop taking care of what you see on the screen, it's actually only the intel chip, what happens is that the nvidia gpu acts like a second processor; rendering frames and sending them to the intel chip. This is pretty cool and is only possible thanks to nvidia's optimus technology. Thanks to optimus you can have longer battery life!!!! but somewhere along the line nvidia fucked up optimus...
The other issue is there's a problem in how nvidia's drivers manage dx9, opengl and vulkan. What exactly? I have no clue. I would need to look at the driver's code and even then might have no idea.

Why hasn't this been fixed after 2 years and 2 card architectures?

No one want to solve it. Fixing it means they must invest time and money. And since no high profile recent games has been affected... They don't give a fuck, they just throw the blame to each other. (microsoft, intel and nvidia)(It's nvidia's fault btw)

Why are you so sure they haven't tested the issue?

For 2 reasons: If they had, they would have noticed that it doesn't happen if you use a different rendering API than Dx9, and would have noticed that it doesn't happen every frame and isn't related to vsync. Instead they just repeat what other users have said and repeat "We are aware of the issue and are working on it". They are aware alright... But they certainly aren't working on it.

Well.. If it's a driver issue and nvidia's fault, then there must have been a driver that introduced it. Which version is it?

You're totally right! APPARENTLY most of the issues were introduced after driver version 350.12. Many other issues disappear completely using 347.88. I HAVEN'T TESTED THAT MYSELF. They are too damn old and the person that reported that used windows 8.1 and 10 without telling which driver accompanied which OS. If by chance you still have access to both OS and driver versions please test away! it's clear at this point we have to do nvidia's work. HOWEVER most people had success when rolling back to 350.12, so I would test that one first.

Why are you so angry?

I'm not. Fuck you.
I just couldn't agree more with you mate!!.....Like i gate 900 euros about 2 years now after having a shitty laptop for 8 years and this is what i get for it...I went back and forth between windows 7,8,10 and in every single occasion there is an issue (I got the lenovo y50-70 UHD with the gtx 860m 4GB btw). I mean you waste that ammount of money and you expect everything to work like clock and instead you get this garbage of a computer with screen tearing all over the place. I had to format my old laptop like 3 times most in 8 years and i have already formatted this thing like 50 times over the past 2 years!!!....But as always companies like nvidia don't give a damn unless you pay for their highest end gpu and even then they care until their next highest end gpu....So many people have this issue but Nvidia doesn't care at all!!...NEVER AGAIN OPTIMUS LAPTOP NEVER!!
I just couldn't agree more with you mate!!.....Like i gate 900 euros about 2 years now after having a shitty laptop for 8 years and this is what i get for it...I went back and forth between windows 7,8,10 and in every single occasion there is an issue (I got the lenovo y50-70 UHD with the gtx 860m 4GB btw). I mean you waste that ammount of money and you expect everything to work like clock and instead you get this garbage of a computer with screen tearing all over the place. I had to format my old laptop like 3 times most in 8 years and i have already formatted this thing like 50 times over the past 2 years!!!....But as always companies like nvidia don't give a damn unless you pay for their highest end gpu and even then they care until their next highest end gpu....So many people have this issue but Nvidia doesn't care at all!!...NEVER AGAIN OPTIMUS LAPTOP NEVER!!

Posted 05/17/2017 07:41 AM   
Just want to chime in that I'm having the same issue with KOFXIV beta. Since the game is running OpenGL I had a feel the ugly tearing would rear its ugly head. I can't believe such widespread issue has gone this long without being addressed.
Just want to chime in that I'm having the same issue with KOFXIV beta. Since the game is running OpenGL I had a feel the ugly tearing would rear its ugly head. I can't believe such widespread issue has gone this long without being addressed.

Posted 05/19/2017 04:25 AM   
I contacted Nvidia and i got the case escalated and they replayed with this: "Hello, The case was escalated to me for review. We have received reports of this problem from other users and our development team is actively working with Microsoft on this issue. Microsoft published an article about this issue here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3158621/hybrid-graphics-and-vsync-results-in-graphic-tearing-in-some-games-and-apps-on-windows-10 There are some updates that with some games users have been able to workaround the problem by forcing Vertical Sync On. If you haven't already tried consider enabling "Vertical Sync" from the Intel graphics control panel as well as in the NVIDIA control panel to see if that helps. We've had reports from a few users on the forum that enabling Vertical Sync from both Intel/NVIDIA control panel help workaround the problem, but it may not work with all games. To do this simply right-click on the desktop background and you should see option for Intel graphics properties. Click on the 3D menu option next to Display and look for the "Vertical Sync" option in the "General Settings". Change the "Vertical Sync" option to "Use Driver Settings". These options may be different depending on the version of the Intel control panel/drivers. Next go into the NVIDIA control panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings, and make sure "Vertical sync" is set to "On". You'll want to make sure the in-game vertical sync is set to "On" as well if such an option does exists. Best regards, Ray " Well i want to believe that they are really looking into this but at the same time the issue is 2 years old and there have been no solutions whatsoever.
I contacted Nvidia and i got the case escalated and they replayed with this:

"Hello,

The case was escalated to me for review. We have received reports of this problem from other users and our development team is actively working with Microsoft on this issue. Microsoft published an article about this issue here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3158621/hybrid-graphics-and-vsync-results-in-graphic-tearing-in-some-games-and-apps-on-windows-10

There are some updates that with some games users have been able to workaround the problem by forcing Vertical Sync On. If you haven't already tried consider enabling "Vertical Sync" from the Intel graphics control panel as well as in the NVIDIA control panel to see if that helps. We've had reports from a few users on the forum that enabling Vertical Sync from both Intel/NVIDIA control panel help workaround the problem, but it may not work with all games.

To do this simply right-click on the desktop background and you should see option for Intel graphics properties. Click on the 3D menu option next to Display and look for the "Vertical Sync" option in the "General Settings". Change the "Vertical Sync" option to "Use Driver Settings". These options may be different depending on the version of the Intel control panel/drivers. Next go into the NVIDIA control panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings, and make sure "Vertical sync" is set to "On". You'll want to make sure the in-game vertical sync is set to "On" as well if such an option does exists.

Best regards,
Ray "
Well i want to believe that they are really looking into this but at the same time the issue is 2 years old and there have been no solutions whatsoever.

Posted 05/19/2017 10:36 AM   
Some people are stating this doesn't happen in Windows 7. Anyone able to verify this? if so it may help Nvidia/Microsoft nail this problem down. Currently this [url]https://github.com/Dwedit/NvidiaOptimusFixer[/url] seems to work for some who are using DX9 games.
Some people are stating this doesn't happen in Windows 7. Anyone able to verify this? if so it may help Nvidia/Microsoft nail this problem down. Currently this https://github.com/Dwedit/NvidiaOptimusFixer seems to work for some who are using DX9 games.

Posted 05/22/2017 12:37 AM   
On the Optimus issue most laptops do not allow setting the dGPU as the only rendering device. Very few will OOB, and some others will if you use a custom/unlocked BIOS.
On the Optimus issue most laptops do not allow setting the dGPU as the only rendering device. Very few will OOB, and some others will if you use a custom/unlocked BIOS.

Posted 05/22/2017 10:39 AM   
Well, I just spent 2 hours talking with the web chat. And they escalated the issue. Should be getting an email shortly. This is going to be fun.
Well, I just spent 2 hours talking with the web chat. And they escalated the issue. Should be getting an email shortly. This is going to be fun.

Posted 05/22/2017 03:28 PM   
@sotosmen See? They're trying to blame microsoft and vysinc. Didn't I prove that it's an optimus and driver issue? NOTHING to do with vsync. You should respond that. Maybe link this guide to the "support" guy.
@sotosmen

See? They're trying to blame microsoft and vysinc. Didn't I prove that it's an optimus and driver issue? NOTHING to do with vsync.
You should respond that. Maybe link this guide to the "support" guy.
I don't know about you people, but with my Lenovo Y700 screen tearing was awful. You pretty much couldnt even use the laptop...I decided to downgrade to Windows 7 to see if it was fixed, and it was. Seeing this, it's probably microsoft's fault for not trying to help, and nvidia's fault for not giving a shit. Both are at fault from what I've seen. If you're thinking about going to win7, just dual boot and see if it still happens for you.
I don't know about you people, but with my Lenovo Y700 screen tearing was awful. You pretty much couldnt even use the laptop...I decided to downgrade to Windows 7 to see if it was fixed, and it was. Seeing this, it's probably microsoft's fault for not trying to help, and nvidia's fault for not giving a shit.

Both are at fault from what I've seen. If you're thinking about going to win7, just dual boot and see if it still happens for you.

Posted 05/29/2017 01:33 PM   
1st. Stolverd - thank you for your effort. 2nd. I have same diagonal tearing problem on my ASUS GL753VE (GTX 1050 Ti)
1st. Stolverd - thank you for your effort.
2nd. I have same diagonal tearing problem on my ASUS GL753VE (GTX 1050 Ti)

Posted 06/02/2017 08:00 AM   
Today I have an insomnia, so operation "Bitching to nvidia" begins. There is no possibility to write e-mail from russian version of NVIDIA site, by the way. They keep you goinig in circles of FAQs and never let you fill the form to send a request. Maybe exit from this labyrinth exists, but I am unable to find it. It's a pretty challenging to find a way to send a request in english version of site too, but it's possible. Now I am on first line of defence ("send *.nfo to us", "make an profile in control panel", etc). Let's see what will happen next.
Today I have an insomnia, so operation "Bitching to nvidia" begins.
There is no possibility to write e-mail from russian version of NVIDIA site, by the way. They keep you goinig in circles of FAQs and never let you fill the form to send a request. Maybe exit from this labyrinth exists, but I am unable to find it.
It's a pretty challenging to find a way to send a request in english version of site too, but it's possible.

Now I am on first line of defence ("send *.nfo to us", "make an profile in control panel", etc).
Let's see what will happen next.

Posted 06/07/2017 11:32 PM   
Fail. They pointing finger at MS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3158621/hybrid-graphics-and-vsync-results-in-graphic-tearing-in-some-games-and-apps-on-windows-10 Absolutely ignoring fact that KBA describes different case (windowed mode) and full screen mode recommended as solution. What options we still have?
Fail. They pointing finger at MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3158621/hybrid-graphics-and-vsync-results-in-graphic-tearing-in-some-games-and-apps-on-windows-10

Absolutely ignoring fact that KBA describes different case (windowed mode) and full screen mode recommended as solution.

What options we still have?

Posted 06/10/2017 07:29 AM   
Minecraft is unplayable because of screen tearing, this is bs...
Minecraft is unplayable because of screen tearing, this is bs...

Posted 06/12/2017 04:28 AM   
[quote="alex_scob"]Fail. They pointing finger at MS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3158621/hybrid-graphics-and-vsync-results-in-graphic-tearing-in-some-games-and-apps-on-windows-10 Absolutely ignoring fact that KBA describes different case (windowed mode) and full screen mode recommended as solution. What options we still have? [/quote] As I described in my guide, demand the case to be escalated. They pointed me to the same link. In fact, most people are given that link. They don't want to take responsibility. After the case is escalated the new support person asigned to you will paste the same comment: "we know of this and are working on this". That is of course false. BUT, let us give them the benefit of the doubt. That means they are looking for a problem in the wrong place! They still think it's linked to vsync and the OS! They will NEVER find the culprit that way and that means we wont get a fix. Link this guide to them. Then if you are ignored you can ask for another escalation and link this guide again. EDIT: Sorry for delays in PM and posts... For some reason I'm not being notified by email. I try to log in weekly but even here I'm not notified. I'll try to look at here at least once a week.
alex_scob said:Fail. They pointing finger at MS:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3158621/hybrid-graphics-and-vsync-results-in-graphic-tearing-in-some-games-and-apps-on-windows-10

Absolutely ignoring fact that KBA describes different case (windowed mode) and full screen mode recommended as solution.

What options we still have?

As I described in my guide, demand the case to be escalated.
They pointed me to the same link. In fact, most people are given that link. They don't want to take responsibility.

After the case is escalated the new support person asigned to you will paste the same comment: "we know of this and are working on this". That is of course false. BUT, let us give them the benefit of the doubt. That means they are looking for a problem in the wrong place! They still think it's linked to vsync and the OS! They will NEVER find the culprit that way and that means we wont get a fix.
Link this guide to them. Then if you are ignored you can ask for another escalation and link this guide again.

EDIT: Sorry for delays in PM and posts... For some reason I'm not being notified by email. I try to log in weekly but even here I'm not notified. I'll try to look at here at least once a week.
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top