HDR problem
  11 / 12    
Turn on HDR -> Run game in Fullscreen -> Finished gaming? Turn off HDR.
Turn on HDR -> Run game in Fullscreen -> Finished gaming? Turn off HDR.

Posted 11/28/2017 01:34 PM   
That doesn't work as the games that have the problems bypass desktop HDR. Mass Effect Andromeda being a prime example, it will switch on HDR, but will not switch your display to HDR so you get washed out colours, switch to windowed full screen and the display picks up the desktop HDR mode and switches on the displays HDR mode, but then the game has disabled HDR so again you get messed up colours. It has worked in the past but having to downgrade drivers and OS to get something to run as it should do by default, and AMD manages, shows the problem is clearly with NVidias drivers and something they need to fix but have no interest in. I am half expecting them to release a new NVidia tax monitor "feature" that is their own version of HDR much like the cheaper equally good freesync which they won't support even though they could as they want to make you pay extra for it. I want to say hopefully that's not the case and its just more a case of crappy driver support, but I don't know which is worse.
That doesn't work as the games that have the problems bypass desktop HDR. Mass Effect Andromeda being a prime example, it will switch on HDR, but will not switch your display to HDR so you get washed out colours, switch to windowed full screen and the display picks up the desktop HDR mode and switches on the displays HDR mode, but then the game has disabled HDR so again you get messed up colours. It has worked in the past but having to downgrade drivers and OS to get something to run as it should do by default, and AMD manages, shows the problem is clearly with NVidias drivers and something they need to fix but have no interest in. I am half expecting them to release a new NVidia tax monitor "feature" that is their own version of HDR much like the cheaper equally good freesync which they won't support even though they could as they want to make you pay extra for it. I want to say hopefully that's not the case and its just more a case of crappy driver support, but I don't know which is worse.

Posted 11/28/2017 11:25 PM   
[quote="leSange"]Turn on HDR -> Run game in Fullscreen -> Finished gaming? Turn off HDR.[/quote] Doesn't work. HDR categorically does not work in Windows 10 on Nvidia hardware.
leSange said:Turn on HDR -> Run game in Fullscreen -> Finished gaming? Turn off HDR.

Doesn't work. HDR categorically does not work in Windows 10 on Nvidia hardware.

"Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed"

System:
Windows 10 64bit Professional
Intel i7 5930k w/Corsair H100i
32GB Corsair LED DDR4 3000
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVME
2x 960GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD's in RAID 0
3TB WD Caviar HDD
EVGA Classified X99 motherboard
2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti w/Hybrid Water Coolers
1300w EVGA SuperNova Gold+ PSU
Corsair 540 Cube case
Dell U2718Q 4k HDR 27" IPS Display

Posted 11/28/2017 11:56 PM   
Roll back drivers or wait for new ones. 388+ drivers are a mess (and Windows 10 1709 version).
Roll back drivers or wait for new ones. 388+ drivers are a mess (and Windows 10 1709 version).

Posted 11/29/2017 01:14 AM   
Bump... You filthy animals.
Bump... You filthy animals.

Posted 12/01/2017 09:12 PM   
HDR works great but it is the game developers to make HDR more better than SDR for PC games. 1 PC game have very good HDR and thats Shadow of War. Overall HDR is much better than SDR and make the game more realstic. For monitors use DP1.4 and windows HDR on game in full screen mode en you get a great HDR experiance
HDR works great but it is the game developers to make HDR more better than SDR for PC games. 1 PC game have very good HDR and thats Shadow of War. Overall HDR is much better than SDR and make the game more realstic.

For monitors use DP1.4 and windows HDR on game in full screen mode en you get a great HDR experiance

Posted 12/02/2017 05:00 PM   
Anyone know why HDR randomly works and not for me? When it doesn't work right, sharpness gets jacked up to insane levels making everything look extra crispy. I have to keep toggling HDR off and on until it looks right. Doesn't matter if I'm in a game (Destiny2, RE 7) or when toggling Windows' own HDR option in settings, I will randomly get this extra sharpness being forced onto me. Is this also one of the issues with Windows and HDR?
Anyone know why HDR randomly works and not for me? When it doesn't work right, sharpness gets jacked up to insane levels making everything look extra crispy. I have to keep toggling HDR off and on until it looks right. Doesn't matter if I'm in a game (Destiny2, RE 7) or when toggling Windows' own HDR option in settings, I will randomly get this extra sharpness being forced onto me. Is this also one of the issues with Windows and HDR?

Posted 12/04/2017 07:02 AM   

Posted 12/04/2017 07:03 AM   
[quote="georaldc"]Anyone know why HDR randomly works and not for me? When it doesn't work right, sharpness gets jacked up to insane levels making everything look extra crispy. I have to keep toggling HDR off and on until it looks right. Doesn't matter if I'm in a game (Destiny2, RE 7) or when toggling Windows' own HDR option in settings, I will randomly get this extra sharpness being forced onto me. Is this also one of the issues with Windows and HDR?[/quote] Your TV or Monitor has different HDR picture settings . Go into Settings and change the Sharpness LEVEL and also other Picture Enhancements
georaldc said:Anyone know why HDR randomly works and not for me? When it doesn't work right, sharpness gets jacked up to insane levels making everything look extra crispy. I have to keep toggling HDR off and on until it looks right. Doesn't matter if I'm in a game (Destiny2, RE 7) or when toggling Windows' own HDR option in settings, I will randomly get this extra sharpness being forced onto me. Is this also one of the issues with Windows and HDR?

Your TV or Monitor has different HDR picture settings . Go into Settings and change the Sharpness LEVEL and also other Picture Enhancements

AMD TR4 1950x @ 4.0
GA X399 AORUS Gaming 7 F3G
Gskill FlareX 32GB 4x 3200 14-14-14
INNO3D Nvidia GeForce GTX1080 8G D5 1759Mhz iChill X3
Asus Strix RAID DLX
SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD 480Gb
Samsung x2 1TB 7200
WD Gold 6TB Enterprise 128MB Cache (WD6002FRYZ)
Seagate 5TB Enterprise 128MB Cache (ST5000NM0024)
LG OLED55C6 3D TV
Logitech G502 - LGS not installed
Corsair Gaming K70 RED RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Keyboard
Windows 10 x64 1709 Fall Creators UEFI Boot

Posted 12/04/2017 07:37 PM   
[quote="x7007"][quote="georaldc"]Anyone know why HDR randomly works and not for me? When it doesn't work right, sharpness gets jacked up to insane levels making everything look extra crispy. I have to keep toggling HDR off and on until it looks right. Doesn't matter if I'm in a game (Destiny2, RE 7) or when toggling Windows' own HDR option in settings, I will randomly get this extra sharpness being forced onto me. Is this also one of the issues with Windows and HDR?[/quote] Your TV or Monitor has different HDR picture settings . Go into Settings and change the Sharpness LEVEL and also other Picture Enhancements [/quote] It isn't my TV though. Here's how HDR looks when it works [img]https://i.imgur.com/sXPhAKPl.jpg[/img] and this is when it's not working properly [img]https://i.imgur.com/ERD8ZD5l.jpg[/img] There seems to be a 50% chance I get the below picture when activating HDR, whether in Windows or in a game with it's own HDR toggle like Destiny 2. To get Destiny 2 to display properly when this happens, I can alt+tab out of the game and back to get it to reinitialize fullscreen display. Since it's random, I have to do this multiple times until I get the right picture displayed back I have all the latest Windows updates and the latest nvidia driver installed. My other HDR capable devices do not have this problem (bluray player, standard PS4). Here's how Destiny 2 with HDR looks like by the way Fixed [url]https://i.imgur.com/5R0Zcns.jpg[/url] Broken [url]https://i.imgur.com/UMuD00F.jpg[/url]
x7007 said:
georaldc said:Anyone know why HDR randomly works and not for me? When it doesn't work right, sharpness gets jacked up to insane levels making everything look extra crispy. I have to keep toggling HDR off and on until it looks right. Doesn't matter if I'm in a game (Destiny2, RE 7) or when toggling Windows' own HDR option in settings, I will randomly get this extra sharpness being forced onto me. Is this also one of the issues with Windows and HDR?

Your TV or Monitor has different HDR picture settings . Go into Settings and change the Sharpness LEVEL and also other Picture Enhancements

It isn't my TV though. Here's how HDR looks when it works

and this is when it's not working properly

There seems to be a 50% chance I get the below picture when activating HDR, whether in Windows or in a game with it's own HDR toggle like Destiny 2. To get Destiny 2 to display properly when this happens, I can alt+tab out of the game and back to get it to reinitialize fullscreen display. Since it's random, I have to do this multiple times until I get the right picture displayed back

I have all the latest Windows updates and the latest nvidia driver installed. My other HDR capable devices do not have this problem (bluray player, standard PS4).

Here's how Destiny 2 with HDR looks like by the way

Fixed
https://i.imgur.com/5R0Zcns.jpg

Broken
https://i.imgur.com/UMuD00F.jpg

Posted 12/05/2017 03:43 AM   
Just to add I have a 1050 it running win 10pro and I also suffer the issue with a dull image when HDR is turned on in windows. It works fine with Xbox one x and image returns to normal when HDR is turned off. Same brightness/backlight settings. TV reports HDR input signal. It’s just broken!
Just to add I have a 1050 it running win 10pro and I also suffer the issue with a dull image when HDR is turned on in windows.

It works fine with Xbox one x and image returns to normal when HDR is turned off.

Same brightness/backlight settings. TV reports HDR input signal. It’s just broken!

Posted 12/05/2017 02:13 PM   
{quote} I found a way to test HDR on latest version of windows 10 (tested on firmware updated LG OLED C6) Set nvidia settings to 4K, 4:2:2 10 or 12 bit Enable HDR from Windows 10 settings Open windows 10 setting panel (not control panel but settings), in search Type HDR Video, it will find HDR video setting for you, its called "Stream HDR video" Verify that its set to HDR enabled. Open Microsoft Edge (it wont work in ANY otehr browse), find HDR video on YouTube, for example here is Horizon Zero Dawn HDR review from Digital Foundry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CggHZkFdTNM If you set everything correctly and HDR is properly enabled, the Youtube video will play in HDR, when you press on youtube video player icon that changes videos resolution you'll find new video resolutions with word HDR near them. {quote}
{quote}

I found a way to test HDR on latest version of windows 10 (tested on firmware updated LG OLED C6)

Set nvidia settings to 4K, 4:2:2 10 or 12 bit
Enable HDR from Windows 10 settings
Open windows 10 setting panel (not control panel but settings), in search Type HDR Video, it will find HDR video setting for you, its called "Stream HDR video"
Verify that its set to HDR enabled.
Open Microsoft Edge (it wont work in ANY otehr browse), find HDR video on YouTube, for example here is Horizon Zero Dawn HDR review from Digital Foundry

If you set everything correctly and HDR is properly enabled, the Youtube video will play in HDR, when you press on youtube video player icon that changes videos resolution you'll find new video resolutions with word HDR near them.
{quote}

Posted 12/06/2017 10:20 AM   
I am just getting into HDR after getting a new TV on Black Friday Xbone was very easy to activate HDR PC is not I have a HDR button in display settings just like everyone says when turned on makes my desktop look dull even with contrast, backlight, local dimming etc all turned on max I read rollback drivers is the best solution for now so thats what ive done So i load up Cod WW2 and try to turn on HDR but it says i must have the more up to date drivers for this function to unlock, so i go back to the most recent drivers. The game will not let me turn on HDR unless my desktop settings have the HDR button set to on. So im forced to have the dark screen but the game now will let me turn on HDR The other thing ive noticed is i grabbed a HDR video demo and the only player that plays it is windows own video player. Kodi/VLC/powerdvd none of them played the video in HDR even with the switch set to on. Weirdly the windows player played it in HDR regardless of the switch? Why cant windows 10 be more like the xbox? i thought the xbox was run on a cut down version windows 10? Its annoying to have to keep turning this HDR button on and off surely thats not how its meant to be? No one wants a dull desktop
I am just getting into HDR after getting a new TV on Black Friday

Xbone was very easy to activate HDR

PC is not

I have a HDR button in display settings just like everyone says when turned on makes my desktop look dull even with contrast, backlight, local dimming etc all turned on max

I read rollback drivers is the best solution for now so thats what ive done

So i load up Cod WW2 and try to turn on HDR but it says i must have the more up to date drivers for this function to unlock, so i go back to the most recent drivers. The game will not let me turn on HDR unless my desktop settings have the HDR button set to on. So im forced to have the dark screen but the game now will let me turn on HDR

The other thing ive noticed is i grabbed a HDR video demo and the only player that plays it is windows own video player. Kodi/VLC/powerdvd none of them played the video in HDR even with the switch set to on. Weirdly the windows player played it in HDR regardless of the switch?

Why cant windows 10 be more like the xbox? i thought the xbox was run on a cut down version windows 10?
Its annoying to have to keep turning this HDR button on and off surely thats not how its meant to be?
No one wants a dull desktop

Posted 12/06/2017 04:55 PM   
from changelog file [b]Operating System Issues[/b]  [Windows 10 Fall Creators Update][HDTV]: 12 bpc is automatically applied even on HDTVs that support only 8 bpc, resulting in a scrambled display. [2007663] To work around, open the NVIDIA Control Panel->Change Resolution page, select “Use NVIDIA color settings”, then set the Output color depth to 8 bpc. [b]Windows 10 Issues[/b] [Windows 10 Fall Creators Update]: Color settings made in the NVIDIA Control Panel are not preserved across a system reboot or restart. [2009433]
from changelog file
Operating System Issues
 [Windows 10 Fall Creators Update][HDTV]: 12 bpc is automatically applied even on
HDTVs that support only 8 bpc, resulting in a scrambled display. [2007663]
To work around, open the NVIDIA Control Panel->Change Resolution page, select “Use
NVIDIA color settings”, then set the Output color depth to 8 bpc.

Windows 10 Issues
[Windows 10 Fall Creators Update]: Color settings made in the NVIDIA Control Panel
are not preserved across a system reboot or restart. [2009433]

Posted 12/08/2017 04:58 PM   
Same problem here: - Nvidia 1080 - Samsung C49HG90 via DP - Win 10 1709 - Nvidia driver: 388.59 HDR on in Win 10: colours washed out Mass Effect Andromeda: colours washed out Destiny 2: colours washed out I tried every possible setting in the nvidia resolution panel, but nothing works. As soon as I turn on a HDR-switch (in Win 10 or in a game) the colours "are gone". It´s frustrating because the hardware is able to manage HDR (i.e. monitor recognizes HDR as an input signal), but obviously the driver (or the OS) is not able to handle the right colour depth etc.!
Same problem here:
- Nvidia 1080
- Samsung C49HG90 via DP
- Win 10 1709
- Nvidia driver: 388.59

HDR on in
Win 10: colours washed out
Mass Effect Andromeda: colours washed out
Destiny 2: colours washed out

I tried every possible setting in the nvidia resolution panel, but nothing works.

As soon as I turn on a HDR-switch (in Win 10 or in a game) the colours "are gone". It´s frustrating because the hardware is able to manage HDR (i.e. monitor recognizes HDR as an input signal), but obviously the driver (or the OS) is not able to handle the right colour depth etc.!

Posted 12/12/2017 08:17 AM   
  11 / 12    
Scroll To Top