HDR problem
  6 / 7    
[quote="darko.pandza.jiujitsu"]Hey guys i just bought new Lg Uhd tv and connected everything. I turned off hdr mode in windows 10 and picture is crisp clear. But only problem is when i play a movie in full screen then hdr shuts off. It only stays in hdr when movie is in windowed mode.....but who can watch movies like that. And jea same thing is with games[/quote] madvr + hdr in his settings
darko.pandza.jiujitsu said:Hey guys i just bought new Lg Uhd tv and connected everything. I turned off hdr mode in windows 10 and picture is crisp clear. But only problem is when i play a movie in full screen then hdr shuts off. It only stays in hdr when movie is in windowed mode.....but who can watch movies like that. And jea same thing is with games

madvr + hdr in his settings

Posted 09/05/2017 03:20 PM   
Just piling on. Same problem. $3000 LG OLED C7 TV and Geforce GFX 970. Everything looks drab when HDR activated in Windows. Whites in Windows 10 are a dull gray compared to the TV menus. Deactivating HDR in Windows returns things to normal, but presumably HDR isn't working and it is not activated when I enter games. Downgraded to the drivers to 378.92 and now the desktop looks fine, but the Windows HDR option is gone and no HDR badge appears when I start up Watch Dogs 2, which I believe supports HDR. (The TV doesn't think it is receiving an HDR signal as far as I can tell. I can't access HDR settings on the TV, which I can do when I'm on the latest NVIDIA drivers and HDR is activated on Windows.) The game looks pretty good, but gives warnings about old drivers. (Not sure if I've ever seen it in proper HDR or not.) I tried a shorter, brand new HDMI cable to eliminate that as a possible problem, but it didn't help. I also tried fiddling with the NVIDIA settings an managed to green-screen the computer, which required multiple resets and reboots to clear. (Not even sure what did it. I was about to pull my video card when it started working again.) I notice that the old driver has the Output Color Format set to "RGB" in the NVIDIA control panel, whereas there is a debate in this thread about 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2. I set it to YCbCr444.
Just piling on. Same problem. $3000 LG OLED C7 TV and Geforce GFX 970. Everything looks drab when HDR activated in Windows. Whites in Windows 10 are a dull gray compared to the TV menus. Deactivating HDR in Windows returns things to normal, but presumably HDR isn't working and it is not activated when I enter games.

Downgraded to the drivers to 378.92 and now the desktop looks fine, but the Windows HDR option is gone and no HDR badge appears when I start up Watch Dogs 2, which I believe supports HDR. (The TV doesn't think it is receiving an HDR signal as far as I can tell. I can't access HDR settings on the TV, which I can do when I'm on the latest NVIDIA drivers and HDR is activated on Windows.)

The game looks pretty good, but gives warnings about old drivers. (Not sure if I've ever seen it in proper HDR or not.)

I tried a shorter, brand new HDMI cable to eliminate that as a possible problem, but it didn't help.

I also tried fiddling with the NVIDIA settings an managed to green-screen the computer, which required multiple resets and reboots to clear. (Not even sure what did it. I was about to pull my video card when it started working again.)

I notice that the old driver has the Output Color Format set to "RGB" in the NVIDIA control panel, whereas there is a debate in this thread about 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2. I set it to YCbCr444.

Posted 09/18/2017 05:25 AM   
Same here, just got as 43" LG 4K HDR TV on my GTX 1070's in SLI. Enabling in HDR windows looks really bad. Tried it off in Windows and turned it on in Resi 7 and it looks completely washed out.
Same here, just got as 43" LG 4K HDR TV on my GTX 1070's in SLI. Enabling in HDR windows looks really bad. Tried it off in Windows and turned it on in Resi 7 and it looks completely washed out.

Intel 5820K @ 4.2GHz, Corsair H110i, MSI X99 Krait Ed, 32GB Crucial 3000 DDR4, Samsung 960 SSD, 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 founders. Windows 10 64bit. LG 43" 4K HDR TV. Shield Tablet

Posted 09/22/2017 06:44 PM   
I finally had some luck with this on my 1070 hooked up to a Samsung KS8000. I ultimately had to turn on Windows Insider Preview Builds. Once I had jumped to a current insider build, enabling HDR and Advanced Color options allowed me to use HDR in Forza 7. The desktop colors still look very dark, but the Forza 7 Demo now had an HDR tab and it could be enabled and looked good. When I launched Project Cars 2, it obviously wasn't HDR (no support), but in fullscreen mode the colors looked good and weren't nearly as dim as the desktop. I haven't checked Andromeda yet to see if its HDR mode was working, but at least Forza is doing the right thing. Since this is mainly a gaming PC hooked up to a TV, it's not a deal breaker if the desktop is dim, but definitely not ideal.
I finally had some luck with this on my 1070 hooked up to a Samsung KS8000. I ultimately had to turn on Windows Insider Preview Builds. Once I had jumped to a current insider build, enabling HDR and Advanced Color options allowed me to use HDR in Forza 7. The desktop colors still look very dark, but the Forza 7 Demo now had an HDR tab and it could be enabled and looked good. When I launched Project Cars 2, it obviously wasn't HDR (no support), but in fullscreen mode the colors looked good and weren't nearly as dim as the desktop. I haven't checked Andromeda yet to see if its HDR mode was working, but at least Forza is doing the right thing. Since this is mainly a gaming PC hooked up to a TV, it's not a deal breaker if the desktop is dim, but definitely not ideal.

Posted 09/25/2017 06:52 PM   
With no Insider Preview and latest NVidia drivers and Windows 10 build, I siwtched on HDR in windows (as always looks ugly, fonts are distorted) but could enable HDR in Forza too. Looked not really good, not better than without, also have hard color changes in the sky if I watch closely. Hopefully next Windows Update fixes that or NVidia does. Can't imagine HDR to be the worst option on PC.
With no Insider Preview and latest NVidia drivers and Windows 10 build, I siwtched on HDR in windows (as always looks ugly, fonts are distorted) but could enable HDR in Forza too. Looked not really good, not better than without, also have hard color changes in the sky if I watch closely.

Hopefully next Windows Update fixes that or NVidia does. Can't imagine HDR to be the worst option on PC.

Posted 10/04/2017 08:21 PM   
I have the same problem, Samsung ks8000 tv, onkyo atmos receiver, gtx1070, all hdcp 2.2 all hdmi cec...It is an endless and frustrating battle working around the glitches from all these supposed HDR/4kuhd capable devices. Some games lose colour and vibrancy for no reason, i get black screens, green screens. So much unnecessary windows hdr tinkering, geforce colour tinkering, tv source tinkering, shutting on and off inputs and receiver inputs..... Sometimes when I watch a movie in fullscreen the colour boosts in quality but when I get a notification banner or even a subtitle in the movie everything shits the bed and the colour dims or turns grainey and the video skips making the movie unwatchable... This whole generation is plagued with glitches. I think Windows, Nvidia, and Samsung all need to meet up and figure out how to play friendly with each other. It's almost 2018 and people want to use their PC on their 4ktv and receiver... This is horrendous
I have the same problem, Samsung ks8000 tv, onkyo atmos receiver, gtx1070, all hdcp 2.2 all hdmi cec...It is an endless and frustrating battle working around the glitches from all these supposed HDR/4kuhd capable devices. Some games lose colour and vibrancy for no reason, i get black screens, green screens. So much unnecessary windows hdr tinkering, geforce colour tinkering, tv source tinkering, shutting on and off inputs and receiver inputs..... Sometimes when I watch a movie in fullscreen the colour boosts in quality but when I get a notification banner or even a subtitle in the movie everything shits the bed and the colour dims or turns grainey and the video skips making the movie unwatchable... This whole generation is plagued with glitches. I think Windows, Nvidia, and Samsung all need to meet up and figure out how to play friendly with each other. It's almost 2018 and people want to use their PC on their 4ktv and receiver... This is horrendous

Posted 10/14/2017 12:38 AM   
I have the latest win10 Fall Creators update 16299.19 and I can confirm that nothing has changed regarding HDR both video playback and games, this is very disturbing as I have been waiting for months to get this new win 10 update and read in many forums that it fixed this problem...........it doesn't I have an Samsung 65KS8000 4k HDR TV and use a Nvidia GTX 1070 and this has really pissed me off big time The only way I can get HDR video to work on my TV is to connect it to my PC through a LAN and use the TV video player to play the video in HRD - working 100% People said this was a windows 10 problem and I am now doubting that, I think this problem is firmly with Nvidia
I have the latest win10 Fall Creators update 16299.19 and I can confirm that nothing has changed regarding HDR both video playback and games, this is very disturbing as I have been waiting for months to get this new win 10 update and read in many forums that it fixed this problem...........it doesn't

I have an Samsung 65KS8000 4k HDR TV and use a Nvidia GTX 1070 and this has really pissed me off big time

The only way I can get HDR video to work on my TV is to connect it to my PC through a LAN and use the TV video player to play the video in HRD - working 100%

People said this was a windows 10 problem and I am now doubting that, I think this problem is firmly with Nvidia

Posted 10/14/2017 01:24 AM   
Have owned a Samsung 49KS8000 HDR TV for probably about a year now and have never been able to get HDR to work properly with my 1080ti. I did manage to get it to work with Creators update but I had to roll back to some nvidia driver but I dont remember what version it was. HDR looked truly amazing, but some of the newer games didnt get that optimization that the new drivers support so I ended up updating to current. Still cant tell if this is a windows or nvidia problem, or maybe a combo of the 2. I will say its extremely frustrating. I recently purchased a Samsung C32HG70 HDR monitor, same issues with that regarding all of this HDR nonsense. Truly is a bummer, its been broken for a year and still no fix in sight. I try to contact Nvidia and Microsoft and both just have me go through the typical driver updates and never actually offer a fix or give me an idea on when a fix may be available. The main reason im buying an Xbox One X is for the reliable HDR support. Get near-pc quality without the headaches of dealing with all of these pc issues. Luckily this new Samsung monitor is gorgeous enough just through standard RGB 8bpc that im not too worried about HDR right now. HDR just looks so muted and lifeless when running through 10bpc on either RGB or YCBCR444. Im truly curious what these reviews on the PC HDR are using to get theres to work, or if its all fabricated.
Have owned a Samsung 49KS8000 HDR TV for probably about a year now and have never been able to get HDR to work properly with my 1080ti. I did manage to get it to work with Creators update but I had to roll back to some nvidia driver but I dont remember what version it was. HDR looked truly amazing, but some of the newer games didnt get that optimization that the new drivers support so I ended up updating to current. Still cant tell if this is a windows or nvidia problem, or maybe a combo of the 2. I will say its extremely frustrating. I recently purchased a Samsung C32HG70 HDR monitor, same issues with that regarding all of this HDR nonsense. Truly is a bummer, its been broken for a year and still no fix in sight. I try to contact Nvidia and Microsoft and both just have me go through the typical driver updates and never actually offer a fix or give me an idea on when a fix may be available.

The main reason im buying an Xbox One X is for the reliable HDR support. Get near-pc quality without the headaches of dealing with all of these pc issues. Luckily this new Samsung monitor is gorgeous enough just through standard RGB 8bpc that im not too worried about HDR right now. HDR just looks so muted and lifeless when running through 10bpc on either RGB or YCBCR444. Im truly curious what these reviews on the PC HDR are using to get theres to work, or if its all fabricated.

Posted 10/14/2017 03:51 AM   
Have the same issue with HDR and In my opinion this is a combined problem from Microsoft , Nvidia , Ati ..Im not sure for Iintel but my be as well . My situation I have an hp OMEN desktop X 900-000nx powered by nvidia GTX1080 everything on latest releases for Drivers/OS The system is plugged via high quality Premium HDMI 2.0b 1.8m to my LG 43 UJ670V LED which is HDR10 / HGL capable . Operating resolution is 4K @ 60hz (3840 × 2160 native) and I use YcBcR 4.2.2 10bpc color profile . The HDR option in Windows display properties is accessible and of course as soon as I ENABLE it ,the desktop goes completely washed out like 50% of full signal is lost ..the screen looks dimmed however TV does recognize HDR and the HDR ID logo pops up in the upper right corner , This is not usable in any possible way , playing real HDR videos mostly (demos) they play somewhat better but comparing to the same file played from the TV app it is different which suggest that Windows10 Creator still takes control over the HDR and it does it wrong the Vibrancy /Brightens/Contrast are not correct ..it is far better then desktop but worse then same contest played over TV app , I tried Amazon over PC and Amazon over TV app one episode of Thick which is HDR with same results TV app plays it perfectly while W10 looks ..lets say less impressive . My suspicion is that W10 actually uses RGB color space then somehow try to simulate HDR or if it does for real then it is completely messed up . I would like to know which HDR Windows 10 is suppose to use or implement HDR10 , HLG , Dolby Vision ? ( seriously doubt it is DV) or MS came out with their own form of HDR ??? While my TV is displaying the HDR logo I believe it is HDR10 ..can someone confirm this ?
Have the same issue with HDR and In my opinion this is a combined problem from Microsoft , Nvidia , Ati ..Im not sure for Iintel but my be as well .
My situation

I have an hp OMEN desktop X 900-000nx powered by nvidia GTX1080 everything on latest releases for Drivers/OS
The system is plugged via high quality Premium HDMI 2.0b 1.8m to my LG 43 UJ670V LED which is HDR10 / HGL capable .
Operating resolution is 4K @ 60hz (3840 × 2160 native) and I use YcBcR 4.2.2 10bpc color profile .

The HDR option in Windows display properties is accessible and of course as soon as I ENABLE it ,the desktop goes completely washed out like 50% of full signal is lost ..the screen looks dimmed however TV does recognize HDR and the HDR ID logo pops up in the upper right corner ,
This is not usable in any possible way , playing real HDR videos mostly (demos) they play somewhat better but comparing to the same file played from the TV app it is different which suggest that Windows10 Creator still takes control over the HDR and it does it wrong the Vibrancy /Brightens/Contrast are not correct ..it is far better then desktop but worse then same contest played over TV app , I tried Amazon over PC and Amazon over TV app one episode of Thick which is HDR with same results TV app plays it perfectly while W10 looks ..lets say less impressive .

My suspicion is that W10 actually uses RGB color space then somehow try to simulate HDR or if it does for real then it is completely messed up .

I would like to know which HDR Windows 10 is suppose to use or implement HDR10 , HLG , Dolby Vision ? ( seriously doubt it is DV) or MS came out with their own form of HDR ???
While my TV is displaying the HDR logo I believe it is HDR10 ..can someone confirm this ?

Posted 10/15/2017 08:43 PM   
I too was waiting for the Fall update to fix the dull HDR but it hasn't made a difference. The only way I've been able to alleviate the problem is to set colour format to YCbCr444 10 bpc and then increase digital vibrance to 85% - even then it still looks washed out but at least you can tell what colour you are looking at!
I too was waiting for the Fall update to fix the dull HDR but it hasn't made a difference.

The only way I've been able to alleviate the problem is to set colour format to YCbCr444 10 bpc and then increase digital vibrance to 85% - even then it still looks washed out but at least you can tell what colour you are looking at!

Posted 10/16/2017 01:17 PM   
[quote="whitmer_zach"]The main reason im buying an Xbox One X is for the reliable HDR support. Get near-pc quality without the headaches of dealing with all of these pc issues. [/quote] Yes, this is infuriating. And I too ponder on buying an XoX because of that... For reference, my hardware configuration consists of : GTX 980 & Samsung 65JS9500 I also suffer from fuzzy text when in hdr mode in Windows 10 and washed out colours in Mass Effect Andomeda when HDR mode is ON. Turning HDR ON in Windows, then starting Mass Effect in HDR off looks 'okay', but there's no way to tell if the result really is 'HDR' (Samsung tvs don't specifically indicate that fact). I've been downloading the Fall Creators Update today, so I'll try tonight to see if there's any difference. EDIT : Well, that was disappointing. It didn't change anything.
whitmer_zach said:The main reason im buying an Xbox One X is for the reliable HDR support. Get near-pc quality without the headaches of dealing with all of these pc issues.

Yes, this is infuriating. And I too ponder on buying an XoX because of that...

For reference, my hardware configuration consists of : GTX 980 & Samsung 65JS9500
I also suffer from fuzzy text when in hdr mode in Windows 10 and washed out colours in Mass Effect Andomeda when HDR mode is ON. Turning HDR ON in Windows, then starting Mass Effect in HDR off looks 'okay', but there's no way to tell if the result really is 'HDR' (Samsung tvs don't specifically indicate that fact).

I've been downloading the Fall Creators Update today, so I'll try tonight to see if there's any difference.

EDIT : Well, that was disappointing. It didn't change anything.

Posted 10/17/2017 03:33 PM   
This is both awful and pathetic... Even if it is a Microsoft problem, nvidia should have the resources or clout to get this resolved or force Microsoft to resolve. This is almost class action worthy. I wouldn't have bought the 4k TV that I did, if I had known HDR would be busted. It hasn't worked right in the last year. This thread has over 40k views and no one can do anything? Sad.
This is both awful and pathetic... Even if it is a Microsoft problem, nvidia should have the resources or clout to get this resolved or force Microsoft to resolve. This is almost class action worthy. I wouldn't have bought the 4k TV that I did, if I had known HDR would be busted. It hasn't worked right in the last year. This thread has over 40k views and no one can do anything? Sad.

Posted 10/17/2017 07:01 PM   
Come on nvidia, help us out!
Come on nvidia, help us out!

Posted 10/17/2017 07:02 PM   
Also waited so long for this "HDR Update" with the Fall Creators Update. Now that I have it officially, it didn't change anything. Problem as always, washed out colors as soon as we switch on HDR. If you hit the link under the HDR on/off switch in Windows Settings, it now displays some information. It shows the 4k resolution and only 8bit RGB. Shoudn't it be 10bit? Am I doing something wrong? I have a 980ti and a very good HDMI cable, also a Panasonic 65DXW904. Edit: In NVidia settings I can enable Ybr 4:2:2 and 10bit, also Windows Updates that information. But same problem, shitty picture. MS AND NVIDIA! We want to have HDR enabled all the time, have a better picture as in SDR and no problems!
Also waited so long for this "HDR Update" with the Fall Creators Update. Now that I have it officially, it didn't change anything. Problem as always, washed out colors as soon as we switch on HDR.

If you hit the link under the HDR on/off switch in Windows Settings, it now displays some information.

It shows the 4k resolution and only 8bit RGB. Shoudn't it be 10bit? Am I doing something wrong?

I have a 980ti and a very good HDMI cable, also a Panasonic 65DXW904.

Edit: In NVidia settings I can enable Ybr 4:2:2 and 10bit, also Windows Updates that information. But same problem, shitty picture.

MS AND NVIDIA! We want to have HDR enabled all the time, have a better picture as in SDR and no problems!

Posted 10/17/2017 09:14 PM   
Confirmed: Fall Creator's update hasn't changed the situation. Pretty sad state of affairs... =(
Confirmed: Fall Creator's update hasn't changed the situation. Pretty sad state of affairs... =(

Posted 10/18/2017 03:12 AM   
  6 / 7    
Scroll To Top