HDR problem
  2 / 12    
windows 10 is at fault, they implemented HDR in a half arsed manner and are simulating sRGB color space, resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nits tv's.
windows 10 is at fault, they implemented HDR in a half arsed manner and are simulating sRGB color space, resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nits tv's.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 04/25/2017 03:55 PM   
[quote="Sora"]windows 10 is at fault, they implemented HDR in a half arsed manner and are simulating sRGB color space, resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nits tv's.[/quote] A green/gray tint effect and overall way too bright in games. This is how mass effect looked. I took the picture with my phone. [img]http://i.imgur.com/2auLgqn.jpg[/img] If you revert back 378.92 you lose the hdr windows options but at this point who cares. Games look how they should.
Sora said:windows 10 is at fault, they implemented HDR in a half arsed manner and are simulating sRGB color space, resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nits tv's.

A green/gray tint effect and overall way too bright in games. This is how mass effect looked.
I took the picture with my phone. Image

If you revert back 378.92 you lose the hdr windows options but at this point who cares. Games look how they should.

Core I7-6700k @ 4.6ghz w/ Corsair H110
Watercooled GTX 1080 Ti FE
OCZ Revodrive 350 960gb PCIE SSD / 256gb Intel 600p M.2
Dell 34" Monitor & Samsung 40" 4k & HTC Vive
MSI Z170A Gaming M5 MB w/ 16GB Ram
Seasonic X1250 PS in a Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18689769

Posted 04/25/2017 04:15 PM   
Yep, 378.92 takes HDR control back from the operating system (it is a WDDM 2.2 feature)
Yep, 378.92 takes HDR control back from the operating system (it is a WDDM 2.2 feature)

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 04/26/2017 07:17 AM   
Having the exact same issues with my LG B6 OLED 4K TV. HDR looks washedout with Windows 10 creators update. Whats the current solution ? Revert to older drivers and use HDR only in games and videos ?
Having the exact same issues with my LG B6 OLED 4K TV. HDR looks washedout with Windows 10 creators update.

Whats the current solution ? Revert to older drivers and use HDR only in games and videos ?

Posted 04/26/2017 02:27 PM   
[quote="Display-Freak"]Having the exact same issues with my LG B6 OLED 4K TV. HDR looks washedout with Windows 10 creators update. Whats the current solution ? Revert to older drivers and use HDR only in games and videos ?[/quote] I'm on a 970 Founders Edition. Having same issue. I ordered a 1080 Mini for my HTPC setup, which is currently out for delivery. Going to do a fresh install of 378.92 this afternoon. Are you using the HDR option on Win 10 from settings? I've tried, but my display gets really dark, faded looking. And text is hard to read. What's your experience with this?
Display-Freak said:Having the exact same issues with my LG B6 OLED 4K TV. HDR looks washedout with Windows 10 creators update.

Whats the current solution ? Revert to older drivers and use HDR only in games and videos ?

I'm on a 970 Founders Edition. Having same issue. I ordered a 1080 Mini for my HTPC setup, which is currently out for delivery. Going to do a fresh install of 378.92 this afternoon.

Are you using the HDR option on Win 10 from settings? I've tried, but my display gets really dark, faded looking. And text is hard to read. What's your experience with this?

Posted 04/26/2017 03:23 PM   
[quote="dynamicj"] Are you using the HDR option on Win 10 from settings? I've tried, but my display gets really dark, faded looking. And text is hard to read. What's your experience with this?[/quote] I have that as well, but changing the gamma in the Nvidia Control Panel (under Adjust desktop color settings) resolves that issue. However, it doesn't look any better than normal (non HDR) mode. I also tried the new 381.89 driver, but it totally disabled HDR in games. I now have reinstalled the 378.92 driver and HDR works again, out of the box with no issues. They sure have some work to do with this new WDDM 2.2 driver model.
dynamicj said:

Are you using the HDR option on Win 10 from settings? I've tried, but my display gets really dark, faded looking. And text is hard to read. What's your experience with this?

I have that as well, but changing the gamma in the Nvidia Control Panel (under Adjust desktop color settings) resolves that issue. However, it doesn't look any better than normal (non HDR) mode.
I also tried the new 381.89 driver, but it totally disabled HDR in games. I now have reinstalled the 378.92 driver and HDR works again, out of the box with no issues. They sure have some work to do with this new WDDM 2.2 driver model.

Posted 04/27/2017 01:47 PM   
If you're planning to play Mass Effect in HDR, don't bother.
If you're planning to play Mass Effect in HDR, don't bother.

Posted 04/28/2017 03:20 PM   
HDR is broken and does not work at all in mass effect andromeda using the latest windows version and nvidia driver. If you are having problems with mass effect hdr when using the creators update, then go back to the 378.92 nvidia driver. It works for me and others using that driver. No need to roll back windows. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/HDR-doesn-t-work-after-Win-10-creators-update/td-p/5992370/page/5
HDR is broken and does not work at all in mass effect andromeda using the latest windows version and nvidia driver.

If you are having problems with mass effect hdr when using the creators update, then go back to the 378.92 nvidia driver. It works for me and others using that driver. No need to roll back windows. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/HDR-doesn-t-work-after-Win-10-creators-update/td-p/5992370/page/5

Posted 05/10/2017 04:32 PM   
Im having the same issue as everyone else with the creators update. A new driver has came out (driver 382.05) and still no luck. Was just seeing if anyone else is still having problems with the latest drivers. Thank you in advance.
Im having the same issue as everyone else with the creators update. A new driver has came out (driver 382.05) and still no luck. Was just seeing if anyone else is still having problems with the latest drivers. Thank you in advance.

Posted 05/15/2017 02:57 PM   
It is insane that not only this has not been fixed but there is no official word on even if anybody is working on a fix. The only way to get hdr working is to stay on old drivers. How is this acceptable when you purchase a $700 card and $2000 tv ????? Can Nvidia at least tell us if this is getting fixed? There a new 382.36 driver today but that did not fix anything. We need official word for nvidia on the cause and eta for a fix!
It is insane that not only this has not been fixed but there is no official word on even if anybody is working on a fix. The only way to get hdr working is to stay on old drivers. How is this acceptable when you purchase a $700 card and $2000 tv ?????

Can Nvidia at least tell us if this is getting fixed? There a new 382.36 driver today but that did not fix anything.

We need official word for nvidia on the cause and eta for a fix!

Posted 05/29/2017 11:43 AM   
When will nvidia fix this issue?
When will nvidia fix this issue?

Posted 05/29/2017 12:17 PM   
[quote="Sora"]windows 10 is at fault, they implemented HDR in a half arsed manner and are simulating sRGB color space, resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nits tv's.[/quote] Why do you post this in every HDR error thread? Yes the CU update from windows took control away from the individual game (ie I could watch and play games in SDR on my 4k set and then play an HDR game and the TV would detect it and THEN go into HDR mode as it should). Now it is HDR 24/7 with washed out and crushed colors. The reason I put the ball in part ( as do many others) is the CU update was in preview for MONTHS. Nvidia failed to address this. At all. Second compliant I hear is "windows creators update is optional". Not really if you play any MS games or want to use certain features. Most of the newer windows games or even updates to older games REQUIRE the creators update. MS shit the bed with poor HDR implementation but NVIDIA makes both the hardware AND software for video output on PCs for a large number of people. NVIDIA should have been working with MS from day one on this OR at least addressed it was an issue and they are working on it. I don't even see it being a "known issue" on their end.
Sora said:windows 10 is at fault, they implemented HDR in a half arsed manner and are simulating sRGB color space, resulting in the brightness value being too low for high nits tv's.

Why do you post this in every HDR error thread? Yes the CU update from windows took control away from the individual game (ie I could watch and play games in SDR on my 4k set and then play an HDR game and the TV would detect it and THEN go into HDR mode as it should). Now it is HDR 24/7 with washed out and crushed colors. The reason I put the ball in part ( as do many others) is the CU update was in preview for MONTHS. Nvidia failed to address this. At all. Second compliant I hear is "windows creators update is optional". Not really if you play any MS games or want to use certain features. Most of the newer windows games or even updates to older games REQUIRE the creators update. MS shit the bed with poor HDR implementation but NVIDIA makes both the hardware AND software for video output on PCs for a large number of people. NVIDIA should have been working with MS from day one on this OR at least addressed it was an issue and they are working on it. I don't even see it being a "known issue" on their end.

Current Build:

Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z270X Motherboard
Intel i7-7700k @ 4.5ghz
Corsair H110i v2 CPU Cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16gb DDR4 @3200

Posted 05/30/2017 01:24 AM   
I had to revert back to driver 378 as well to get hdr working on shadow warrior 2 . Once I installed that driver It looks good. I think its a driver issue. just Wonder why it's taking so long for this to be addressed ?
I had to revert back to driver 378 as well to get hdr working on shadow warrior 2 . Once I installed that driver It looks good. I think its a driver issue. just Wonder why it's taking so long for this to be addressed ?

zotac amp extreme 1080ti sli, i7 3930k @4.25ghz, liquid cooled, asus rampage 4 x79 , Samsung 512 ssd, win10-64, half x ,32 gig quad channel memory 1666mgz, 1200ax psu, sound blaster Z, lg dual layer dvd burner, pioneer quad layer blue ray burner, 2 tb hd ,1.5 tb hd 65" ks8500 samsung hdr .

Posted 05/31/2017 02:32 AM   
Please fix this shit, reverting to 378.92. I'll also add that windows & GFE forcing new driver updates on me is E X T R E M E L Y annoying. Had to add values to the registry to prevent this behavior. This is ludicrous. Nvidia & Microsoft can share the award for utter shit software on this issue. https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/
Please fix this shit, reverting to 378.92. I'll also add that windows & GFE forcing new driver updates on me is E X T R E M E L Y annoying. Had to add values to the registry to prevent this behavior. This is ludicrous. Nvidia & Microsoft can share the award for utter shit software on this issue.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

Posted 06/03/2017 08:09 PM   
Literally HOW THE EFF IS THIS STILL NOT FIXED!!!!! Crappy AMD drivers and updates drove me away from AMD. Nividia has been seriously disappointing lately. FIX THE HDR TV ISSUE!!!!! LIKE NOW PLEASE!!!!
Literally HOW THE EFF IS THIS STILL NOT FIXED!!!!! Crappy AMD drivers and updates drove me away from AMD. Nividia has been seriously disappointing lately.

FIX THE HDR TV ISSUE!!!!! LIKE NOW PLEASE!!!!

Posted 06/06/2017 06:31 PM   
  2 / 12    
Scroll To Top