Pascal-based graphics card drivers for macOS
  3 / 3    
I am new to NVIDIA having just gotten the GTX 1080 TI for my MacPro 5,1 (2010 6x3.33GHz). Having installed the drivers I'm experiencing totally unexpectedly poor graphics performance. e.g. playing a 4k video which should run at 24fps, I'm only getting 12fps! Even general desktop usage is very sluggish. Something can't be right as this is worse than the base AMD 5770 card. I did have to upgrade to Sierra to use this card, and yes Sierra is a pain, but not sure if that's got anything to do with this. Looks like I'll be swapping the card out to re-verify performance numbers from Sierra as a common base for comparison.
I am new to NVIDIA having just gotten the GTX 1080 TI for my MacPro 5,1 (2010 6x3.33GHz).
Having installed the drivers I'm experiencing totally unexpectedly poor graphics performance.
e.g. playing a 4k video which should run at 24fps, I'm only getting 12fps!
Even general desktop usage is very sluggish.
Something can't be right as this is worse than the base AMD 5770 card.
I did have to upgrade to Sierra to use this card, and yes Sierra is a pain, but not sure if that's got anything to do with this.
Looks like I'll be swapping the card out to re-verify performance numbers from Sierra as a common base for comparison.

Posted 04/19/2017 05:44 PM   
Still unstable https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pascal-stability-issue/ I have freeze at login and video corruption
Still unstable

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pascal-stability-issue/

I have freeze at login and video corruption

Posted 04/23/2017 09:50 AM   
[quote="sealtainn"]I am new to NVIDIA having just gotten the GTX 1080 TI for my MacPro 5,1 (2010 6x3.33GHz). Having installed the drivers I'm experiencing totally unexpectedly poor graphics performance. e.g. playing a 4k video which should run at 24fps, I'm only getting 12fps! Even general desktop usage is very sluggish. Something can't be right as this is worse than the base AMD 5770 card. I did have to upgrade to Sierra to use this card, and yes Sierra is a pain, but not sure if that's got anything to do with this. Looks like I'll be swapping the card out to re-verify performance numbers from Sierra as a common base for comparison. [/quote] Sierra si super fast and 10.12.4 comes with new Metal. I have super performance with GTX 1070. 4k video playback seem an issue if you read www.egpu.io forums Maybe you have old drivers, malware, old software if you upgraded from an old system. 99% of time an user blame OS is not OS fault :-P My current issue is stability, I really hope Nvidia fix this, I've upgraded from a 780Ti which was super stable.
sealtainn said:I am new to NVIDIA having just gotten the GTX 1080 TI for my MacPro 5,1 (2010 6x3.33GHz).
Having installed the drivers I'm experiencing totally unexpectedly poor graphics performance.
e.g. playing a 4k video which should run at 24fps, I'm only getting 12fps!
Even general desktop usage is very sluggish.
Something can't be right as this is worse than the base AMD 5770 card.
I did have to upgrade to Sierra to use this card, and yes Sierra is a pain, but not sure if that's got anything to do with this.
Looks like I'll be swapping the card out to re-verify performance numbers from Sierra as a common base for comparison.

Sierra si super fast and 10.12.4 comes with new Metal. I have super performance with GTX 1070.
4k video playback seem an issue if you read www.egpu.io forums
Maybe you have old drivers, malware, old software if you upgraded from an old system. 99% of time an user blame OS is not OS fault :-P
My current issue is stability, I really hope Nvidia fix this, I've upgraded from a 780Ti which was super stable.

Posted 04/23/2017 09:51 AM   
[quote="GOEI"][quote="ManuelGuzman"]NVIDIA recognizes the desire Mac users have for the greatest functionality and highest performance. Today we released new drivers which enable Pascal-based graphics cards for Mac so users would be able to take advantage of the power of the new GPU. While this driver enables Pascal-based graphics cards, this does not provide official support. http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/117854/en-us [u][b]Release 378.05.05.05f01 System Requirements:[/b][/u] Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.4 (16E195) Contains performance improvements and bug fixes for a wide range of applications. Includes NVIDIA Driver Manager preference pane. Includes BETA support for iMac and MacBook Pro systems with NVIDIA graphics This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users. BETA support is for iMac 14,2 / 14,3 (2013), iMac 13,1 / 13,2 (2012) and MacBook Pro 11,3 (2013), MacBook Pro 10,1 (2012), and MacBook Pro 9,1 (2012) users.[/quote] Thank you very much. Just ordered 2 Titan Xp cards - if they work with my Mac Pro Environment I'll buy the P6000 in exchange for my K6000 as well. Many Thanks![/quote] I've got this week my two Titan Xp cards: Together with one additional GTX Titan X i'm scratching at the 70k mark with LuxMark 3.1. Despite some minor issues with the pascal cards (some glitches after a long running web session within safari) most of the other apps seems to work (despite iBooks Author still not working): - Photo (with DxO, Luminar, Aurora Plugin) - Final Cut Pro X - Motion etc. my config: - Mac Pro 5.1 (late 2012) - 2x Intel Xeon 5690 - 96 GB RAM - 4x 2 TB SSD - 6x 4 TB SSD SAN - 1x GTX Titan X - 2x GTX Titan Xp - 1x NetStor Expansion Box NA255A - 2x Ilyama 27" 2560x1440 Monitors - 1x Apple 27" Cinema Display
GOEI said:
ManuelGuzman said:NVIDIA recognizes the desire Mac users have for the greatest functionality and highest performance. Today we released new drivers which enable Pascal-based graphics cards for Mac so users would be able to take advantage of the power of the new GPU. While this driver enables Pascal-based graphics cards, this does not provide official support.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/117854/en-us

Release 378.05.05.05f01 System Requirements:
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.4 (16E195)
Contains performance improvements and bug fixes for a wide range of applications.
Includes NVIDIA Driver Manager preference pane.
Includes BETA support for iMac and MacBook Pro systems with NVIDIA graphics

This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users.

BETA support is for iMac 14,2 / 14,3 (2013), iMac 13,1 / 13,2 (2012) and MacBook Pro 11,3 (2013), MacBook Pro 10,1 (2012), and MacBook Pro 9,1 (2012) users.

Thank you very much. Just ordered 2 Titan Xp cards - if they work with my Mac Pro Environment I'll buy the P6000 in exchange for my K6000 as well.

Many Thanks!

I've got this week my two Titan Xp cards: Together with one additional GTX Titan X i'm scratching at the 70k mark with LuxMark 3.1.

Despite some minor issues with the pascal cards (some glitches after a long running web session within safari) most of the other apps seems to work (despite iBooks Author still not working):
- Photo (with DxO, Luminar, Aurora Plugin)
- Final Cut Pro X
- Motion
etc.

my config:
- Mac Pro 5.1 (late 2012)
- 2x Intel Xeon 5690
- 96 GB RAM
- 4x 2 TB SSD
- 6x 4 TB SSD SAN
- 1x GTX Titan X
- 2x GTX Titan Xp
- 1x NetStor Expansion Box NA255A
- 2x Ilyama 27" 2560x1440 Monitors
- 1x Apple 27" Cinema Display

Posted 04/29/2017 10:14 AM   
Some users are reporting problem also with Final Cut X https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/macos-pascal-driver-instability-oddities-glitches-ae-photoshop-luxmark/#post-9637
Some users are reporting problem also with Final Cut X
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/macos-pascal-driver-instability-oddities-glitches-ae-photoshop-luxmark/#post-9637

Posted 05/02/2017 07:33 PM   
Hi, Nvidia, can you please check dual stream display port 1.2 support for 5k so that the pascal driver works with alpine ridge thunderbolt passthrough in order to connect a LG 5K ultrafine monitor?
Hi, Nvidia, can you please check dual stream display port 1.2 support for 5k so that the pascal driver works with alpine ridge thunderbolt passthrough in order to connect a LG 5K ultrafine monitor?

Posted 05/06/2017 08:11 AM   
[quote="Janmansilver"]Hi, Nvidia, can you please check dual stream display port 1.2 support for 5k so that the pascal driver works with alpine ridge thunderbolt passthrough in order to connect a LG 5K ultrafine monitor?[/quote] What hardware (motherboard) are you expecting this to work on? You have dual DisplayPort input for Thunderbolt 3 from Nvidia dual DisplayPort output? Maybe it's possible that the LG 5K works similar to a Dell 5K display connected to a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter? I have a Dell 5K display and the Startech TB32DP2 adapter, but my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming-7 (Thunderbolt 3 from Intel CPU) won't support 5K from Thunderbolt 3. I think my Gigabyte motherboard has only 4 lanes of DisplayPort to the Alpine Ridge chip. plugable.com has a similar adapter and their product page shows a table of some motherboards indicating which support more than one display from a Thunderbolt 3 port. I have a MacBook Pro 2015 (Thunderbolt 2 from Radeon) but that won't support 5K from Thunderbolt either since I think 5K requires 22.5 Gb/s but Thunderbolt 2 is only 20 Gb/s. The MacBook Pro 2015 requires an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 3 enabler patch to use the TB32DP2 adapter. I can get 5K to work on the MacBook Pro 2015 with two mini DisplayPort cables or one mDP cable and one cable connected to the TB32DP2. I don't think the Radeon drivers have the cursor issue or other issues with dual MST displays that Nvidia drivers seem to have. What does the System Information.app report for Thunderbolt when you connect an LG 5K display?
Janmansilver said:Hi, Nvidia, can you please check dual stream display port 1.2 support for 5k so that the pascal driver works with alpine ridge thunderbolt passthrough in order to connect a LG 5K ultrafine monitor?

What hardware (motherboard) are you expecting this to work on? You have dual DisplayPort input for Thunderbolt 3 from Nvidia dual DisplayPort output?

Maybe it's possible that the LG 5K works similar to a Dell 5K display connected to a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter?

I have a Dell 5K display and the Startech TB32DP2 adapter, but my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming-7 (Thunderbolt 3 from Intel CPU) won't support 5K from Thunderbolt 3. I think my Gigabyte motherboard has only 4 lanes of DisplayPort to the Alpine Ridge chip. plugable.com has a similar adapter and their product page shows a table of some motherboards indicating which support more than one display from a Thunderbolt 3 port.

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 (Thunderbolt 2 from Radeon) but that won't support 5K from Thunderbolt either since I think 5K requires 22.5 Gb/s but Thunderbolt 2 is only 20 Gb/s. The MacBook Pro 2015 requires an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 3 enabler patch to use the TB32DP2 adapter. I can get 5K to work on the MacBook Pro 2015 with two mini DisplayPort cables or one mDP cable and one cable connected to the TB32DP2. I don't think the Radeon drivers have the cursor issue or other issues with dual MST displays that Nvidia drivers seem to have.

What does the System Information.app report for Thunderbolt when you connect an LG 5K display?

Posted 05/10/2017 07:36 PM   
even the latest driver has the infamous issue (video distortion/login issue/sluggines) random. 10.12.5 and 378.05.05.15f01 didn't fix this
even the latest driver has the infamous issue (video distortion/login issue/sluggines) random.
10.12.5 and 378.05.05.15f01 didn't fix this

Posted 05/18/2017 08:19 PM   
[quote="joevt"][quote="Janmansilver"]Hi, Nvidia, can you please check dual stream display port 1.2 support for 5k so that the pascal driver works with alpine ridge thunderbolt passthrough in order to connect a LG 5K ultrafine monitor?[/quote] What hardware (motherboard) are you expecting this to work on? You have dual DisplayPort input for Thunderbolt 3 from Nvidia dual DisplayPort output? Maybe it's possible that the LG 5K works similar to a Dell 5K display connected to a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter? I have a Dell 5K display and the Startech TB32DP2 adapter, but my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming-7 (Thunderbolt 3 from Intel CPU) won't support 5K from Thunderbolt 3. I think my Gigabyte motherboard has only 4 lanes of DisplayPort to the Alpine Ridge chip. plugable.com has a similar adapter and their product page shows a table of some motherboards indicating which support more than one display from a Thunderbolt 3 port. I have a MacBook Pro 2015 (Thunderbolt 2 from Radeon) but that won't support 5K from Thunderbolt either since I think 5K requires 22.5 Gb/s but Thunderbolt 2 is only 20 Gb/s. The MacBook Pro 2015 requires an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 3 enabler patch to use the TB32DP2 adapter. I can get 5K to work on the MacBook Pro 2015 with two mini DisplayPort cables or one mDP cable and one cable connected to the TB32DP2. I don't think the Radeon drivers have the cursor issue or other issues with dual MST displays that Nvidia drivers seem to have. What does the System Information.app report for Thunderbolt when you connect an LG 5K display? [/quote] I have a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card that supports dual displayport input in order to pass it through to Thunderbolt 3. It works perfectly in Windows and it worked briefly in macOS.
joevt said:
Janmansilver said:Hi, Nvidia, can you please check dual stream display port 1.2 support for 5k so that the pascal driver works with alpine ridge thunderbolt passthrough in order to connect a LG 5K ultrafine monitor?

What hardware (motherboard) are you expecting this to work on? You have dual DisplayPort input for Thunderbolt 3 from Nvidia dual DisplayPort output?

Maybe it's possible that the LG 5K works similar to a Dell 5K display connected to a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter?

I have a Dell 5K display and the Startech TB32DP2 adapter, but my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming-7 (Thunderbolt 3 from Intel CPU) won't support 5K from Thunderbolt 3. I think my Gigabyte motherboard has only 4 lanes of DisplayPort to the Alpine Ridge chip. plugable.com has a similar adapter and their product page shows a table of some motherboards indicating which support more than one display from a Thunderbolt 3 port.

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 (Thunderbolt 2 from Radeon) but that won't support 5K from Thunderbolt either since I think 5K requires 22.5 Gb/s but Thunderbolt 2 is only 20 Gb/s. The MacBook Pro 2015 requires an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 3 enabler patch to use the TB32DP2 adapter. I can get 5K to work on the MacBook Pro 2015 with two mini DisplayPort cables or one mDP cable and one cable connected to the TB32DP2. I don't think the Radeon drivers have the cursor issue or other issues with dual MST displays that Nvidia drivers seem to have.

What does the System Information.app report for Thunderbolt when you connect an LG 5K display?

I have a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card that supports dual displayport input in order to pass it through to Thunderbolt 3. It works perfectly in Windows and it worked briefly in macOS.

Posted 05/29/2017 07:43 PM   
  3 / 3    
Scroll To Top